Why is DMS such a mess?

https://www.torbenrick.eu/blog/culture/broken-organizational-culture/
https://www.torbenrick.eu/blog/culture/broken-windows-theory-applied-to-organizational-culture/

2 Likes

Probably because people walk around taking pictures and complaining rather than making small efforts to help actually solve what they perceive as problems.

23 Likes

Part of the 1st picture is GlassWorks stuff. We have been receiving donations. We are currently homeless and store stuff where we can until we can move into our space. Thank you for your understanding and patients.

11 Likes

That was my thought as well.

@Brandon_Green
I’d recommend volunteering to run a load before airing the dirty laundry.

Were you at the metal shop cleanup last weekend?

4 Likes

Why would someone consider this post to be useless pot stirring? I am glad to answer that. The title is combative, the pictures seem like an attempt to shame a person or people at DMS and the links could either be construed as an attack on the current DMS culture or what was used to “grade” the space, deem it unworthy enough to write this post but not worth the effort to provide any constructive feedback.

16 Likes

Another huge part of the problems is we have more folks working here that we did in the past and less storage

Where you here tonight to see the sie of the torur groups?
We have volunteers working on many things, tonight I came earl for a FA meeting on the
expression plans

If you never cook at home in your kitchen it will be spotless, If cookig is your only interste it may still
stay fairly spotless but if you are busy with with many things, it may wel look messy
at times

Try making something, you will notice the mess less

2 Likes

Why do you complain so much…
And do so little?

9 Likes

Well, change really requires consensus. And there wasn’t much consensus the last time Brandon was involved, so please don’t egg him on.

5 Likes

Not a problem, that was all I planned to say on the subject.

1 Like

Change requires leadership, not consensus. Consensus is a wild goose chase, especially with an organization of this size.

9 Likes

@axeonos was having similar comments in another thread https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/time-for-a-cleaning-back-loading-bay-area/39716

I don’t think ya’ll remember they amount of work @Brandon_Green put in when he was more active at the space.

Seems that people are a little too touchy for some mirroring of their cultural behavior.

And before you dogpile on me, I always pickup around DMS when I’m there. I do not know why is is so hard to pickup stray paper towels off of the floor in the mens bathroom. If you think you are going to get cooties, use another paper towel.

Hopefully with expansion we will get more storage and better organization of “our” stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoge6QzcGY

15 Likes

All committees need to stop taking donations until after we expand - or they need to store their donations offsite. Our cramped condition is unsafe in places and “we’ll use it soon” isn’t a valid reason to endanger members.

Not meaning to pick on Glass - I don’t think you’re the only committee in this position.

But everyone needs to exercise some restraint for another few months.

7 Likes

Large format printer is still down, though? (ducks and runs)

3 Likes

Nah, I do, I just disagree with the idea that it granted an unlimited lifetime license to unproductively gripe without being called on it.

I’m not sure this is a sentence, but if it is, I have no idea what it means.

None of this is or was about you Ken, hell, it’s not even “about” Brandon- I think he’s a good guy. It’s about people walking around and bitching about stuff on Talk and pretending that they are helping. They aren’t.

3 Likes

Here is the general workshop area in April 2017 after I spent 2 all nighters organizing. Do you think DMS is more or less messy today than it used to be? Why has it changed?

The leading questions are to imply that DMS has purposely implemented a culture where a single member is prevented from contributing. If you walk past all those messes is a member more or less likely to clean their work space after they are done making something?

5 Likes

What did it look like before your two all nighters of organization? Did the same “culture” exist that promoted not cleaning a workspace? If you or anyone spent two all nighters organizing now would it look just as neat?
I don’t think allowing storage or having a freebie shelf is implementing any culture that prevents people from contributing.
I think you busted a@@ and made the place look amazing, and that is highly commendable, and I’d also bet 3 days after you took those pictures it was cluttered and a mess again.
I don’t believe it is a culture that prevents contributing, but it may be a culture that allows not contributing.
The bottom line is people need to step up and work to keep a place nice if they want it to be nice. Currently we have too many people happy to just do their thing and ignore the conditions of the space. Some days I’m just as guilty of that as anyone else.

8 Likes

Ok, I’ll bite.

1. What evidence (pictorial or otherwise) do you have that the culture you are talking about is “purposeful”?

2. How are single members “prevented” from contributing under the current paradigm?

I’m a single member (sometimes painfully so), I feel empowered to contribute in all kinds of ways. I can’t think of a time when someone was admonished, recently at least, for cleaning. I don’t think there’s much that is purposeful about our culture although, I agree, it would be nice to have a great architect to blame from time to time.

1 Like

The all nighters were primarily constructing the new tool wall and not just organizing messes. Here are some photos I could find quickly

March 2017

Feb 2017

Sept 2016

3 Likes

The death of do-ocracy, if you want to organize anything more than just the obvious put a tool back on the tool chest, you first need to convene a meeting to reach consensus with all members.

3 Likes

Did I miss this somewhere? Where are you getting this from?

2 Likes