What Plans for DMS Processes?

Dallas Makerspace is very much about individuals taking charge and doing what needs to be done. Another way of looking at it, perhaps, is barely-controlled anarchy. That works OK for small, informal organizations, and we appear to be holding together OK currently, but DMS has rough edges that maybe we would like to have smoothed? The idea for us to hire employees is a partial attempt at solving this problem, as it is impossible to expect a lot from an all-volunteer, unpaid force.

I’m wondering how receptive the membership would be toward identifying and working on areas at DMS that could use improvement? Can we make it work as we have, or do we need more professional muscle?

ID areas is always good, It is not impossible that we have members that have expertise in those areas. They can at the least advise us in those.

The problem, I have seen in the past with ‘hired’ folks is that sometimes that they have no idea or the groups ‘culture’ and sometimes they even have trouble with its goals.

A historical recreation group I am in, hired a CEO and he came close to destroying us before they unloaded him.

It happens in business. A few years ago, Wal Mart brought in a CEO from outside (Target I think). He did not understand the differences. He made major changes that hurt Wal Mart, even with their target customers. The sent him off with a golden parachute and promoted an insider and they feel they back on track (amazing the info one learns by doing a show in the area near their HDGs)

Our loose edges are new growth areas. We run loosely because we have a huge collection of different backgrounds that are coming together. I think taking it slow like we’ve done has been the right call.

If we are to get employees it should be current members who are hired.

I think we should have community projects. As something all DMS members can be a part of. There are Many reasons this would be a good idea.

Throwing this in here, I will start another thread on it. I am wondering if we could have a MS trade day closer to the holidays. I am sure that a lot of us see things that others make that we would love to own or gift someone with. We often
bury our friends in whatever we do, This would give us a chance to trade jewelry for wood bowl or a pottery vase for a laser cut box or ???.Even 3 ways trades would be fun. I want a bowl, but the bowl maker has no us for jewelry, but the potter does and the wood worker needs a mug. No sales, but just trades.

I like the idea of working together on a project

2 Likes

An excellent idea with a forum section ready for invitations…

This is a topic that as been well explored and the opinions on this are a diverse as our membership. If we are already cash strapped, how can we dream of hiring an employee?

I know my non-member status has been an item of issue for some people, but IF we were to hire an employee they obviously would not need to be a member… Unless they wanted to use the equipment.

I sort of view my aspirations with doing something for the space along the lines of what an employee might be expected to do. I would like to help marketing the space to the public and help with analyzing and monitoring the various numbers and metrics within the organization. Things like financials, arranging donations of equipment, sponsors, membership numbers, guests, etc that by knowing more about those numbers will allow us to be more cognizant of our members and potential members.

These kinds of things I am willing to do as a volunteer that a paid employee might be expected to do.

Employees are one aspect, but not the only aspect I have in mind. I’m referring to the process of achieving goals as a whole. Our leadership puts in a lot of work (blood, sweat and tears), but I get the sense that they are at the limit of what they can do. They are trying to run a business with a few dozen unpaid, volunteer employees, 1000 customers (members) and an annual budget of a half-million dollars, without very much education, training or experience in these tasks. I believe that our budget could swing increasingly erratically without better management. We have processes (such as the calendar) that need overhaul. We need maturity, both in setting goals and general decision-making.

1 Like

Definitely agree with the above. I believe I can help assist the existing team in those areas. Ive had many years of project management dealing with big numbers, contractors, time management etc. Just need to point me to someone who can tell me what needs some thought or action put into it.

I’ve been here a couple of months now, and have quietly been attending meetings and taking it all in, Over the years, I’ve participated in quite a few volunteer orgs and non-profits, and have served on various boards and as executive director more than once. I have great respect (and pity) for the folks that volunteer to try and lead and determine policy in groups like this, where situations can sometimes devolve into arguments between passionate people. It can be hard to see the forest for the trees. Developing a structure that minimizes conflict, and maximizes the members ability to create, to make, is a job for people that are serious about succeeding, and love what they are doing. And so far, having met several board members, I believe they have the right hearts for the job.

I think the makerspace, in general, is part of an idea that is just beginning its evolution, and I believe it serves a bona fide need in our communities, and in our country. As we watch manufacturing being offshored by greedy managers, and our schools abandon industrial arts training, our ability as a people, to innovate and survive, has been put at stake. Are we to be a nation of dependant consumers, unable to survive on our own because no one taught us how?

All that being said, I would make the following observations of needs, as I see them. My opinion only, FWIW.

Finance - I would view this as the most urgent and immediate need. The current ability to accurately define the financial status of the org is non-existent. This is bad. The lack of appropriate budgeting and financial controls, render the Board unable to make advised spending decisions, or develop supportable long term plans. This is a “stop the fucking car” sort of problem, and needs to be treated that way. There are just too many ways this could hurt the space, or the people running it, to ignore it or take the slow ride in dealing with it.

Member retention - Right now, older members really don’t see this as a problem, because all the recent publicity and exposure have created a temporary boom in memberships. People are signing up in numbers. But what happens after they sign up? Only a very few post here, yet how many requests for training have you seen in just the past month or so? This is a big deal for someone who signed up because they wanted to use this tool or that, but then can’t, because the training hasn’t been done in a long time, or is done when someone feels like it, or needs money for his committee. Likewise, the barrier to involvement, particularly for the kinds people we so often attract (semi-introverted geeks, like me), is a bigger problem than you might think. Newbies, often walk in the door, knowing no one, nor where things are stored, what the customs and methods of the space are, which tools they can use. I’d be willing to bet, the membership churn is very high, especially among members recently signing up. What’s going to happen, when the new wears off, and the new signups slow way down? It is a fact of life in volunteer organizations, that longevity is determined by your ability to get people involved, and keep them involved. Or you die.

Committee structure - If you’ve been following any of the recent threads about this, some of the problems should be pretty obvious to you. It reminds me of trying to herd cats with a stick. Benevolent dictators, space wars, money pandering, committees with no members, etc. Its not going to get better, until the structure is replaced with something that recognizes the difference between investment centers (shops) and Special Interest Groups, that minimizes individual personalities and conflict, and encourages participation by everyone. The current committee structure encourages conflict, and discourages participation.

Hey - you asked for it - my two cents.

7 Likes

I would like to add that increasing income would, in my model, actually make the problem worse, like adding more pressure to a loose fire hose would make it flail more violently. Our finances need to be managed in a methodical, disciplined manner.

You make several good points, though I disagree with your distinction between shops and what you consider special interest groups, as I believe you consider Science Committee as one of those special interest groups.

Makerspaces exist for a variety of reasons, and have a variety of management structures. We recently had a visitor from a Colorado group that is seeded by an incubator, and it really is an extension of an incubator. I guarantee, their goals, expectations and needs are drastically different from ours! DMS exists more for hobbyists who want nice equipment to finish their personal projects, rather than create the latest and greatest product. What you haven’t considered is that a lot of amateur scientists are hobbyists, have personal projects and would like to have a place and equipment they could use to complete their projects.

1 Like

The Maker Space is a truly incredible place, mainly for the member interaction & inspiration as well asset capability. I also agree the volunteering to be on BoD is a Sisyphean task and they are doing a great job: many sincere thanks.

I think your many of your comments on Finance, Retention and Committees are spot-on. It is an evolving “Thing” in and of itself - evolution sometimes has some dead ends.

I and many others volunteer to teach classes mainly as part of the Maker ethos of being Excellent and giving back because we’ve received so much. That includes donating equipment, time and money to various committees Plus we enjoy it. I really hope the Midnight Night / Late Night Maker classes that were started by 3D will gain some traction in other areas, it will help serve a small segment of our community that can’t otherwise take part.

If we can all debate issues sans ad hominem attacks I believe we’ll all help guide our Space to even greater achievements.

1 Like

I joined because of the machine shop. I have most of the woodshop tools at home. I too joined because the way I am is, I will build something before I buy it. Especially if I can make it better & it’s from overseas. If skills are not passed on, they die. There is still, I feel, some confusion say with the woodshop. The beginning of last month when I joined only the CNC & table saws needed training. Now it would appear other tools need training in the woodshop. I would like to see a better list of items that need training followed with the next training session. For instance woodshop 101, wood shop introduction & woodworking basics. It’s kinda difficult to tell if they are the same class or go over different items.

2 Likes

You’re right, I do consider Science a SIG. A simple way to think of it, is that Shop committees provide tooling and space to support SIGs. SIGs promote a type of projects, education, and specialized “hobby” interests.

I suggest it, not to simplify classification, but to streamline the process of accounting and management. Maintaining an accurate inventory of tooling, budgeting for maintenance expenses, planning for capital purchases, organizing volunteers to fix and maintain tools, and provide training in their use, are all easier with fewer locus points to manage. How important is it for the board to track maintenance costs? Look holistically at needs for a specific proposed investment? Guage the effort necessary to support and maintain a tool? How many people do they want to go to to collect that information? 30 Committee chairman? Or 3-4 shop chairmen?

I must confess that I don’t understand your reasoning. We have thirteen committees (according to the count our group figured out at the committee chair meeting). Each of those committees is responsible for the equipment in their area (the Board isn’t), and all committees are free to use all other committee area tools as needed. What’s more, any committee could maintain any tool they believe they need, within safety and use restrictions (open flame is supposed to be kept in Metal Shop, for example). If any committee wanted to use Science Committee’s laser(s), servers, computers, pressure gauges, high voltage equipment, etc., they are as free to use them as anyone else. At the same time, it isn’t up to the Board whether or not Science Committee buys and maintains a 3D printer, laser cutter, table saw or automotive lift; that’s up to the Science Committee (and available floor space).

DMS treats SIGs differently than they do shops; shops get floor space, but SIGs don’t. The reason for this difference appears to be that only DMS-owned equipment gets permanent floor space; personal projects don’t. From this, I deduce that DMS considers a group a SIG if its materials consist primarily of personal projects.

I think I’m agreeing with Tapper on most all points here, especially finance. If the place stays open (not saying it won’t) then the other parts will generally work themselves out in the long run.

I do see Science as more of a special interest group, than a ‘shop’ per se. I’d probably throw Vector in there as well. Even though they meet very regularly, It’s my assumption (very likely wrong) that the non-functional pinball machines are someone’s projects as opposed to a tool that I’d be able to use. Don’t get me wrong though… I love me some pinball action and actually spent about 10 minutes the other day checking out the fishtank.

Truth is that for ‘processes’ I’d ask the Infrastructure and Storage groups for input first as they seem to me to have the most current ‘rules and regulations’ in place.

I would disagree with this if the Science committee is purchasing equipment we already have I would expect there are larger problems and someone is not playing nice with each other. That being said the expectation is the committee follows there documented purpose https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Science_Committee#Purpose

I would also disagree with this statement as well. If a committee is having sustained trouble it’s a systemic problem for the organization and you bet the DMS BOD will get involved to resolve any issues.

1 Like

Well, Robert, your statement contradicts what I’ve consistently been told by other Board members. My understanding is that the Board would like for the committees to stop regarding things as “not my department,” that even though we probably shouldn’t duplicate the tools of other committees, it is up to the committees how they spend their own monies. I know a lot of committee members bristle any time they think the Board is directing how a committee uses its own funds.

Sure the intent is not to micromanage and give chairs flexibility to work with there committee but if the Science committee started purchasing 3D printers I think there is a something going on that needs review. But your purchases also should further the purpose of the committee and in the larger picture the organizations mission.

1 Like

3D printers are just a tool, similar to a pair of scissors (though more expensive and complicated). In an era in which a popular meme is that every home should have a 3D printer, it is incongruous to say that only one committee should have one. They are supposed to be useful, versatile tools; why shouldn’t Science Committee have one? Caveat; I would prefer that Science Committee obtain a 3D printer that complements existing equipment, offering some capability not already possessed. So, 3D printers is not the best example you might use. It isn’t specialized enough for only one committee to have one, at least in theory.