Wanted: Powder Coat Oven and Gun Tutorial

We do have a small oven and a large one capable of holding wheels and a bike frame. The small oven works. The large one does not, and needs simpler controls.

IF you want to take that on @steve_a , many would be happy.

2 Likes

I would love to work on that but donā€™t want to inhibit anyone elseā€™s efforts. Anyone know who is currently working on the big oven? In the interimā€¦ I would be happy to show how to powder coat small items on the smaller oven. Although someone would have to show me that ovenā€¦ not sure Iā€™ve seen it.

As far as I know both are now fully operational?

I think it needs a bit more work. It doesnā€™t have an internal fan yet. I still donā€™t know what the Small oven is.

I believe @Chris_Wischkowsky was checking out the controller last week. You may want to touch base with Chris.

This is the small oven.

These are the usage instructions for the large oven.

The control panel is the same as the jewelery Melting Oven. So the instruction set can be simplified.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I do appreciate it. My first impression is that its a bit small. A cheap $30 - $60 toaster oven would be more practical for two big reasons. The Toaster ovens have a glass front. Sometimes you need to know when a piece has ā€œFlowed Outā€ and that is so much easier if you can have eyes on it. Opening the door is ok but that means you lose all the heat and should add a few minutes for the oven to re-heat to temperature. Also, Powder coating leaves a contaminateā€¦ if you have a designated toaster ovenā€¦ its kind of, ā€œBig Dealā€ but an oven with potential for other work, it could be a problem.
I have looked at the big oven. I have parts that could make it functional again. Iā€™m a little iffy about the method of wiring but Iā€™m not the ultimate expert. Still I think a simple test could tell us if the setup is sound.
I really think we are being held up by very solvable problems. Heck Iā€™ll donate a toaster oven just to make it possible for small projects and even share what I know in a class if that helps the space.

4 Likes

Iā€™d be interested in learning the basics of powdercoating for future projects with my motorcycle.

1 Like

Same.

Iā€™m looking to coat parts for my truck. Not sure that I could get my front bumper into the big booth but could at least get other parts in.

I was informed last night that the powder coat oven is working. Somehow I missed that. Still that means people can give it a try. If anyone is interested, I could give a quick demo on how to powder coat. It would take about an hour and I would just use a small oven rather than the big oven (More efficient and its just a demo). I would cover how to set up the gun and show the steps I use. Let me know if there is any interest and what day would work.

6 Likes

I would be interested. Most days after 6pm would work for me or a weekend.

Also interested! Same availability is Nagyk, after 6 or a weekend!

Interested. Evenings are best personally.

Yup, I would be interested also!!!

Count me in. The big booth would be big enough to fit table legs right? If I welded some square tubing about 30" tall, 26" wide?

Iā€™d be interested. Just about anything is workable, as long as it isnā€™t in the next 7 days.

1 Like

Me, too. Workdays after 6PM, weekends are best(ish).
Honestly, you can probably make a class on this weekly if you limit attendance to 10 or less for the foreseeable futureā€¦

Week days after 5:30, preferred

I am very interested also, nights are fine other than Thurs -Sun of this weekend and Mother s Day weeken

Another very interested person here. Thanks for teaching!