Visual Studio Professional with MSDN

I’ll be placing an order with TechSoup sometime in the next week or so. If Software Development would like to get Virtual Studio Pro with MSDN for $202.00, I can add that to the order.

Description:
Visual Studio Professional is an integrated development environment (IDE) for individual developers and small teams. It supports development of applications for Windows, SharePoint, the cloud, or web and mobile-device platforms.

5 Likes

@Team_VCC and Software Development. We’ve had this voted on doing the last SDC meeting but it would be great to hear from the community.

Which IDE do you use the most:

• Visual Studio
  • Eclipse
  • Vim
  • Idea
  • Atom
  • Other (comment bellow)

0 voters

Depending on what I am doing, Borland Pascal, Arduino or Code Composer.

I wanted (and still do) to install Visual Studio Community, but the installer kept insisting my Windows (7) is too old.

1 Like

LabVIEW.

Ardiuno IDE or Eclipse after that.

1 Like

MSDN also includes access to every program ever made by Microsoft & a $100 a month compute credit for Azure hosting

2 Likes

Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code all the way. If you haven’t taken a look at Visual Studio Code you really should. The array of support that it provides is crazy! As odd as it sounds for a tool coming from MSFT, VSCode is actually a FANTASTIC tool for open source and device development. All of my old OSS friends that used to rave about Atom are all now in love with VSCode. It’s free and there is a version for the Mac - check it out -> Visual Studio Code

4 Likes

I thought CC was an Eclipse derivative.

Don’t we have LabView in the electronics lab?

1 Like

Yes. Yes we do.

But the question was “What IDE do you use most.”

Hence my answer.

1 Like

You are right. I thought Arduino was, but it is based on Processing.

Visual Studio includes Arduino support and with .NET Core, targeting Pis running Linux or Windows 10 IOT Core. One of the best IDEs ever made.

I’ve used Eclipse, Android Studio, Webstorm and others and while many are decent, none can touch Visual Studio IMO. VS Code is great too, for what it’s good for.

2 Likes

It looks like Visual Studio wins by a landslide, so not much room for debate there. However, I’ve always wanted to see a bake-off between IDE’s. People get rather attached to just one, so a bake-off would be a chance to defend your choice and possibly open people’s minds regarding alternatives. I know there are videos all over about this, but this is a maker-space, right? is there any interest in a single-hour, rotating time-slot, fixed-assignment (2 weeks in advance) bake-off of IDE’s?

Note that Visual Studio Code is not strictly FOSS. The binaries are distributed under a proprietary license and it’s not clear if the codebases are identical. (FWIW I use VS Code)

make it a class that has have the honorarium go to either sdc or vcc and I’ll round up the attention one needs for it.

On the Mac so I use Brackets or BBEdit. And even embarrassingly Dreamweaver occasionally.

1 Like

IDE Bake-off!
Assignment draft to be posted by July 20. Sign-ups will be available at that time.

When? Open for input:

July 31, 7PM (Tuesday)
August 2, 7PM (Open Tour Night)

I’ll likely be at the Tuesday one than Thursday. But how about @Team_VCC and SDC? Do you think you guys can make it to Thursday or Tuesday?

Proposed verbiage for the event (help me out with suggested changes):

The Great IDE Bake-Off!!!

Come one, come all. Prepare to be dazzled by feats of productivity and legerdemain as we pit the best Integrated Development Environments (IDE’s) against each other. All are welcome, but we will limit competition to the first 5 competitors to sign up.

Format: 1 hour event
Introduction (7 mins)
Competitor 1 (10 mins)
Competitor 2 (10 mins)
Competitor 3 (10 mins)
Competitor 4 (10 mins)
Competitor 5 (10 mins)
Results (tabulation & announcement, 3 mins)

Criteria:

1. Work
    a. Easy set-up. (1 point: Show the download link and outline the method of installation on at least one platform of your choice.)
    b. Accessible add-ons. (1 point: Show where and how to find add-ons, an add-on marketplace and how these are installed.)
    c. Extensibility. (1 point: Show how to customize the environment, and outline how to extend the IDE on your own.)
    d. Functionality (2 points: Create a new project and use it. Real work.)

2. Sizzle.
    a. Design (2 points: Successfully demonstrate at least one productivity boost or hack. Wow factor. Jaws drop. Minds blown.)
    b. Suitability for purpose. (2 points: Anything from “I can see that if I had that hardware platform, I’d want that” to “I’m inspired! How can I get that hardware platform so I can use that?”)
    c. Presentation. (1 point)

Total score: 10 points per judge
We’ll need 3 judges, so low attendance would eliminate the judging.

Note: In a corporate bake-off we’d be choosing between options for an IDE to adopt. In that case, the contest would heavily favor an established market-leading product with strong support and a large user base. Instead, this proposed format will be more open, allowing a beautiful, functional IDE for even a niche application to have a chance to prove its point.

VS Code is one of the most versatile IMO. Visual Studio is great but has many many many bugs

I take this to mean there’s no interest in an IDE bake-off?