The HUGE Spool of Heavy Stranded Yellow Insulated Wire, Please Return to Elab (located)

DMS is excellent in that guys like @Lampy and @artg_dms take time out of their busy schedules to organize and bin all the cool electronics whatzits that allow us to have access to them when we need and we don’t have to buy them, wait a week. The electronics lab here is as well outfitted as any lab I for any of the fortune 500 companies I worked for. In fact I would say it is better because none of those companies had encyclopedic discretes much beyond maybe an X7R capacitor kit or two.

And since I am working on a power related project, I have been using the only beefy stranded wire in the lab, the huge yellow spool. Fortunately, even though I used some 20 or 30 feet of it, it didn’t make a dent in this massive spool of wire. Plenty for everyone for months to years to come.

…that is until yesterday when I noticed that someone has taken the entire spool. Now this was not any regular sized spool. It was one of the big boys like in the picture below. So I realize that perhaps someone is using it at DMS, and need to temporarily remove this spool from the lab. Please return it ASAP because I need this wire for my power related project. Please don’t make Art dig through tapes to track it down. Yes it is nice wire, but it will take a long time to get used up, as its been there for over a year, and most of it still on the spool.

Thanks for being excellent and returning the wire promptly.

I’m wondering if it’s accidentally in the electrical closet. There are some spools of wire but I can’t remember if they’re yellow.

You mean these??

Please return!

2 Likes

Yup, they’re back by the lasers. At some point you run out of fucks to give on a late night. Sorry about that, I’ll put them back next time.

So - is this going to be the new “go to” answer to why did you not cleanup after you were finished?

6 Likes

Since Luke apologized for not returning them, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt. After a late night doing volunteer work to upgrade the Lasersaur, I’m going to assume he just forgot.

6 Likes

Next time you spend a late evening doing something for DMS you can say whatever you want about not returning a thing of whatever and I’ll have your back because I truly appreciate it when people do things for DMS. It’s how stuff gets done.

I’m sorry that @semaphore1999 wasn’t able to work on his project at the time he needed to. Obviously I’m not out to just screw people over for fun. If you want to go on a witch hunt for a spool of wire knock yourself out but I think you should consider what your bullshit snipes on Talk actually accomplish.

5 Likes

Please note that this wire is not a stocked consumable, but, rather a donated item. If someone had used the entire spool for a project, you’d just be out of luck.

I’m sure Electronics would also appreciate a few dollars in the E-lab funds box if you plan to use a massive quantity of it for a profit-generating project.

TL; DR: Please don’t assume that E-lab stocks wire or components for your projects.

9 Likes

Alright everyone… calm down.

The wire was located, it wasn’t all used up, it’s not a consumable, and yeah, Luke was tired and didn’t clean up. However, Luke, you know that leaving a mess is something that someone would eventually call out - pass or no pass on fixing DMS gear. :wink:

Let’s all go back to being excellent and working on projects.

Captain Obvious, out.

2 Likes

I posted the link because I recalled seeing the spools pictured in an earlier post.
Not to point fingers.
Not to get someone in trouble.
ETC…, etc…
No apologies needed or asked for.
Member now knows where they are and can retrieve them.
If they are still there when I come, I will return them to the ELab.
QED
“problem” resolved.

Request that this thread be locked.

2 Likes

Tag @Team_Moderators and it’ll be visible to them sooner.

I flagged Art’s post for moderator attention with the “something else” of “please lock”

1 Like

Truth be told, I thought someone had outfitted their home lab with that spool of wire, so I personally am quite pleased to learn that it was a simple case of spool in use elsewhere at that particular moment.

I will make a point to drop a dollar or two in the jar. It should be a few benjamins given all the cool benefits I have received as a member of DMS. However, I am poor at this point in my life, so I scrape by in minimalist fashion at the moment. However, the way things are pointed right now, there could be an end in sight to my poverty… thanks in large part to excellence that may be rubbing off onto me from being surrounded by such.

Thank you, @lukeiamyourfather for noticing the post and handling. I am grateful to once again be united with my beloved spool of DMS elab wire…

2 Likes

Shows that DMS can problem solve - issue resolved. Thanks to all!