🌟 We need an event for 2️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ members

Do you think they will have more than one or two … I’m thinking of making a few more than that …

Perhaps it would be possible to cut them out on the zing or even the vinyl cutter? And the fold them into glasses.

1 Like

Who is going to bring a kazoo?

1 Like

I don’t know but I’m giving one to @Diplomat

1 Like

Don’t know how many you’re thinking, but…
This seems like a good basis from which to build

Laser cut those, modify or cut the 2 and extra 0 to be added…

Or just cut the 2000 out of DTF and superglue to these…

2 Likes

I’m actually thinking of stiff paper … but wood might work as well …

I’m thinking this is what the aeroplane crew was using…
https://www.dollartree.com/Readi-Board-Foam-Boards/p16450/index.pro

1 Like

I think 2000 members is exciting (and a little scary).

What’s your definition of hitting 2000 members? Is it just hitting it the first time, or is it maintaining membership consistently at or above 2000?

I’m not trying to be a pedant. Our membership goes up and down, particularly at the beginning/end of billing periods. The trend is consistently growing, but with the normal fluctuations when we hit 2000 it could easily go down a dozen or so.

As long as beer is served … party every time … hahaha …

No, really, I would say if it hits it and stays with in a few members … … it counts … the trend is going to go up after open house anyway

I think for right now, as soon as we have at least 2000 show up on the count we can honestly say we hit 2000. It can bounce below that by the next morning, but our trend has been steadily upward at least since we’ve been at our present location, so I don’t think it is a misrepresentation. I’m confident that once we hit it, even if down for a day, we’ll be up over 2000 within the week.

Considering 2000, Expansion, & Open House and the constellations auguring good fortune: Jupiter is aligning in Third House of Aquarius, Mars ascendant, or some such mumbo jumbo … we should make hey and take advantage of it if it happens.

4 Likes

Membership head count is 1972.

Woot!

3 Likes

We need to recognize that 2000th member in some way They get to cut a rivvon or smach a wall

And When it happens it is announced o everyone at the space

Well we could do a CTF, AMA, Makerfair, and some sort of Twitch live stream

The trick here is how do we count the 2000th member?

The system counts up new members as they buy memberships, but it doesn’t remove them until it runs a “batch” in the middle of the night. So we could be at 2000 at midnight and drop to 1995 by morning. We could have several days of that cycle until it stabilizes above 2000.

Do we celebrate the first one, or the last one… or all of the ones in between?

2 Likes

We need to recognize the first 5, and the first 50 and the first 100 that got us here.

So many from @DPRG and before, like @mrhavens and @Peter_Smith here donating and building before we had a Space. To these, I am very grateful.

To the 2,000 member, they are truly a winner and should also be recognized.

I propose we make this part of the Open House, and celebrate all our members and volunteers after the long work shift of 10-6pm on Oct 6th.

Note from Talk:
“You mentioned @peter but they won’t be notified because they do not have access to this category. You will need to add them to a group that has access to this category.”

Sadly, this celebration post is closed to but a few.

3 Likes

@peter doesn’t exist… your message wouldn’t get to him either way. @Peter_Smith, however, would work fine.

1 Like

This is a great idea! I love the idea of celebrating the first members.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The 2000th member is fuzzy logic.

Every day we have people join and cancel.

“Whoop! Your member 2,000. Oh, sorry, someone just cancelled before you joined. Your member 1999.”

Waiting…

“We just had 5 people join and 2 cancel.”

The cycle of add and cancellations is crazy.

Stan gave me a program that shows current membership count. It moves up and down every day. I had to quit checking it as often.

There will be a point pretty soon that we will have over 2,000 members. Who exactly is 2,000th is not precise.

I’d say the first time we get to 2000 members, it’s an accomplishment enough …
I’m not certain we need to be specific on who is the 2000th member.

2 Likes

Since I review each cancellation in order to remove them from the DMS Members (i.e., green dot) Talk group (sigh), I will agree with what you said.

Maybe when we announce our Open House we should publicize it by saying, “Come see what a 2,000 member Makerspace looks like!”

4 Likes

Its 2018 we could make the special member number 2018 We will have to
wait longer, but then we would have a fairly firm 2k member

1 Like