Silk Screen Nameplate?

How difficult would it be to do a one-off screen print of this nameplate on aluminum? I am having issues with fine detail using Ceramark on the Zing—I assume due to the thermal conductivity of aluminum—and I would like the replacement plate for this radio to look as much as possible like a brand new original. The circular plate is about 2.5 inches in diameter.

@Hardsuit, I am told you are an expert at screen printing.

Can you tolerate it being dye sub’d? If so, then it’s just about as simple as printing your image and applying it with heat transfer.

You can buy metal that is suitable for dye sub (this one is satin “silver” but you’d have to cut it.)

You might be able to find a round blank the right size. @CaryF300 might be able to tell you whether there is some type of a coating that could be applied to your piece to make it accept dye sub …

1 Like

You might try anodizing.

4 Likes

I’d agree with Tim. Black anodized aluminum raster engraves to silver. JDS Industries has sheets of it, 12" x 24" black anodized aluminum sheet for $10, or a product they call LaserIT (that I think is aluminum with a thin black paint coat) that is $6.50 for a 12" x 24" sheet. Either one could be cut to size and shape with the Shapoko and then engraved with the Zing.

If you want, I don’t mind picking up either one from JDS. I have an account with them, and go there weekly.

2 Likes

That would be great, thank you! I think I’d like to try both and see how they come out. Are you onsite now? If not, let me know how I can pay you in advance.

I’ll get them ordered and let you know the exact total. You can then PayPal it to me at Cary (at) laserwonders (dot) com.

2 Likes

We do not have one of these lasers (yet).

Maybe try to find one locally to do it for you?

1 Like