Remote Surveillance of 3d printers

Oh shucks… I get to tag you after-all William (@william_petefish) - cuz I forgot to add…

I’m glad you are configuring the software to handle more than what our focus range will be - in order to have a buffer to allow for expansion, etc… Thanks!

For those just joining this thread… My goal for the webcams is to run one webcam per microcomputer with 320x240 resolution at 5 fps - to keep overall bandwidth at a reasonable level. :slight_smile:

The hunt begins:

The Raspberry pi Pre-configured image is nice… BUT I have a suspicion that it is struggling to keep up with my printer.

I am going to re-configure the Raspi to a compiled version of the software…

The Beagle Bone Black test was nothing short of a total FUBAR. Octoprint can’t see the printer and on top of that Motion, which I use for streaming since it is cross-platform for all and it is hulla easy to config, keeps crashing. It would work for about 10 seconds before eating it. lsusb didn’t show the printer… so… yeah.

The Banana Pi says: “Honey Badger don’t care.”

1 Like

I’m curious what distro(s) you’re using to do these tests. And in the case of the BBB, what USB hub.

[quote=“zootboy, post:43, topic:2231, full:true”]
I’m curious what distro(s) you’re using to do these tests. [/quote]

Debian and variants there of.

[quote=“zootboy, post:43, topic:2231, full:true”]
And in the case of the BBB, what USB hub. [/quote]

No hub… just trying to get the camera working while Octoprint is running. Then I tried it with a powered hub, no luck there either… brand new BBB rev. C.

I’ve seen issues with certain types of hubs not cooperating with the BBB if they weren’t present at bootup. If the devices aren’t showing up with an lsusb, try plugging them into the hub, plugging the hub in, and rebooting the BBB.

I Did that. Twice. No luck.

Weird. I’m currently working to bring my BBB up and do some pre-tests, hopefully I’ll have better luck.

I’ve just gotten my BBB to stream 720p@30fps from my webcam with mjpg-streamer on Arch Linux. It’s load average is ~0.1 and the RAM footprint is tiny (70MiB total usage), so I’m confident that it could easily handle a printer’s load as well.

I’ll wipe my BBB and let you play with it then… it may be an issue with
the BBB…

The two installs that I used are Octoprint and Motion. So… you could install those on your BBB and bring it sunday.

Have I mentioned how excited I am about this!!! Thanks again to all y’all for taking the time to offer suggestions, advice, TIME, and well… just everything! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are there any particular features of Motion that you’re planning to use besides the stream? Because mjpg-streamer seems to work fine and hasn’t crashed in the 10 hours it’s been running.

Today’s the day ~ w00t!!! :smile:

I put notice up on the printers, and here on TALK (ATTENTION: The three PolyPrinters that are set up for printing ABS will be reserved for testing on Sunday, April 12th from 12:00 PM (noon) until the testing is complete in the evening) reserving the three PolyPrinters that are configured for ABS for testing - from noon today until ??? (…until we complete the testing…)

I want to say THANKS again to all of y’all for helping in the ways you have so far, and an extra huge THANKS to all who show up today to help make this a reality!!! :slight_smile:

PS… I’ll be there around 12:30… to cheer and maybe even learn a bit! :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, how did this go?

I recently purchased a Printrbot Simple Metal with heated bed and just got Octopi as a print server running with it.

I am using a Raspberry PI2, with a Pi Cam. I can upload Gcode to it, and then control it remotely, and keep an eye on it via the camera.

It shows the print stats, and in the GCode viewer you can watch the print motion, and even go through the layers.

The neat thing is the camera. I left for work this morning and then started a print job from my office!! Then I monitored it for 3 hours while it printed.

2 Likes

It went very well! We will be using Banana Pis, and they should arrive any day now! We will set up Far Righty to use the new system for a week, to allow members a chance to get a chance to check it out. More details later today. “Morning” break is almost over… :wink: :slight_smile:

If the Pis are here on Saturday, I’ll get the first printer set up and operational. I’ve been digging into the Octoprint code a bit and it seems that it will give us an easy way of automatically logging / reporting the print jobs. My goal is to have a webpage with all four printer video streams with printer status (including print ETA) underneath each, visible from anywhere.

2 Likes

Hiya Sean (@zootboy)!

The parts arrived today! William is actually at the 'Space right now working on a new image! Catch him on the Google Hangout we were using Sunday during while y’all were working on 'em! :slight_smile:

’n YES! Thanks again!!!

I know I thanked you several times the other day when you told me that you could automate the printer status on the web-page that I was going to have the videos streaming on - instead of asking people to use the scheduler that I had set up a while back. After all these months, it’s so awesome to see this actually coming together!

Many Many THANKS again to both you (@zootboy) and William (@william_petefish)!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Quick update…

Last night, William (@william_petefish) set up one of the Banana Pi units to control Far Righty; and Mitch (@themitch22) was successfully printing on it using the new (to us) interface, OctoPrint (http://octoprint.org). Mitch seemed to really love the new interface ~ like a LOT better than using the laptops with Pronterface!

This is just the first step. We still need to tweak the options & settings, then set up the webpage that will allow anyone to view the status & “stream”, etc… NOTE: It will be view ONLY from outside of the 3D Fab Room.

It was getting late when Mitch started his print job, and I was fixin to head home, so since he was going to be there for the next several hours anyway ( :wink: ), I asked him to put some quick instructions up so members can go ahead and start using Far Righty right away! I believe he was going to tape something up either on or near the printer itself. If something happens and it’s not there at the time you wanna check it out, jump on the 3D Fab Google Hangout, and one of us can walk you through it. It’s actually super easy! Once you enter the “address” (IP addy for now, soon will also have a host name to make it easier to remember… :smile: ), the rest of it will be very familiar.

Be sure to try it out and give us feedback! We are going to leave it set up only on Far Righty for several days so we can tweak it to work best for our environment. Once we are satisfied with the configuration, we will remove all the laptops and convert all the 3D printers to the new system. In the meantime, stop by and see how easy it really will be! :smiley:

2 Likes

The weekend is upon us ~ w00t!

For those of you who have tried the new setup on Far Righty using OctoPrint, what do y’all think so far? It’s still in testing phase, so any input would be appreciated!

On the note of fine tuning it… Sean (@zootboy) and William (@william_petefish), are you both available to work on it more this weekend? If so, let me know what day/time works best for y’all!

Finally, I haven’t seen it in person yet; but word is that Phil (@phil_ayache) cut out a nice case for the Banana Pi we are using to control Far Righty… Thanks! :slight_smile: