Remote Surveillance of 3d printers

I would hope (I’ve never used it before) that octoprint can run on anything that has a USB port. And I agree that the BPi might be a better choice if only because it has multiple USB ports (the BBB only has one). I’m actually not too picky about what SBC we use, just as long as it’s not using USB for its ethernet (any Pi or BCM283x-based unit).

1 Like

Hhmmmm… Working on a fruit salad? :wink:

Raspberry Pi 2 VS Orange Pi VS Banana Pro

…just a random link… based purely on this video, I am relatively sure we don’t need an Orange Pi at this time… :wink:

More benchmarks 'n comparisons 'n stuff…

Includes: Raspberry Pi Model B+, Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, BeagleBone Black

Includes: Raspberry Pi (various) vs Beaglebone Black vs Banana Pi / Banana Pro

Includes: Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi 2, Banana Pi, Banana Pi Pro

Includes lots of stuff :wink:

Octoprint does work with BBB: https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Setup-on-BeagleBone-Black-running-Ångström

As far as doing ‘everything’ on the microcomputer… We can test a configuration that includes slicing within Octoprint (or something similar); however, I will still leave KISSlicer installed/updated on the design PCs - because we “know” the files generated work well with the PolyPrinter printers. However, for now… the primary focus ‘at this time’ is getting the webcam streaming up and running. :wink:

That being said, if/when we move to a web based application to control the printers (such as OctoPi/OctoPrint), that will allow us to stop using the laptops - which will be nice… Assuming the web-based application works as well as or better than the Pronterface we currently use on the laptops. :smile:

Why not try several of them and create our own review? We have several
printers and can trying something different on each.

2 Likes

All the links for comparisons 'n what not aside…

This is what I would like to do - to give us all a ‘real world’ example of how each device works in our environment.

This coming Sunday either a couple hours before - or a couple hours after - the 3D Fab Meeting (3D Fab Committee Meeting (Sunday, April 12th, 4 PM - 5 PM) *** Via Google Hangouts ***), I would like to set up one instance of each device to test each side by side.

What we need:

Devices to borrow, one each:

• Raspberry Pi 2
  • BeagleBone Black (Rev C or Rev B)
  • Banana Pi (or Banana Pi Pro)

Volunteers
Members who have the experience/expertise to configure the following on the devices:

1. “Streaming” webcam REQUIRED
  2. OctoPrint/OctoPi/Web-based printer control Preferred
  3. Logging / Notifications optional at this time; but, something we want ‘eventually’, so if it can be done quick and easy AFTER the webcam is configured that’d be a nice perk.

Time
This coming Sunday - either before and/or after the 3D Fab Meeting would be great! If any of y’all are considering volunteering to help with this project, please reply with your preference of time. THANKS!!! :smile:

Base File
We will also need a file that will be printed before Sunday to use as a comparison. Preferably a file that is ‘complicated’ enough to be able to actually make note of the differences. I’d like to have the run time be around four (4) hours - so I can be sure to be awake when it finishes (no requirement that all the volunteers stay with all the prints - as long as one or two of us does… :wink: )

NOTE: I will need to know ahead of time, in order to “reserve” all the printers for the hours we will be using them to test… I’m guessing it will take most of the day taking into consideration for time to configure and test (as well as having the meeting… :slight_smile: ), so please let me know ASAP, if this is something y’all wanna do!

1 Like

Haha… Great Minds, huh? :wink:

I was just finishing typing that up as I noticed your message… :smile:

I can do the setup on multiple SBCs at once, after they arrive. I have a
Banana Pi at my house as well as a currently working image w/ octoprint…
BUT I would want to be payed back if it stays.

1 Like

I’m planning on being at the space Sunday at noonish, and I can bring a BBB. I may have to sacrifice a 5V power supply from electronics, as I don’t have one with the proper barrel jack handy.

I recall there being webcams already installed in the printers. Is this the case? If not, I can bring one as well.

1 Like

This looks like a good test file that tests a lot of issues on one print. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:704409

-the purring dork

1 Like

I’m gonna make a Microcenter run this morning.
Will grab a BBB and a RPIv2. Then the torture via delta printer will commence.

I know that the Banana Pi can keep up with the printer. The RPI B+ I crashed using a 32mb file. I will try to crash them all again today.

1 Like

I’m not sure what kind of crash you’re talking about, but you may be able to solve it by creating a swap file. I know the original Pi was horribly anemic in the RAM department.

1 Like

So… the process starts. I am configuring the software to run at 640x480 resolution 5fps.

If none bog down, I am going to up the fps. I am also going to run my Kossel Clear at 150%.

I want one to fail… I think it is going to be the BBB first, then the RPIv2, then the Banana Pi. Just basing this forecast on a hardware stand point.

The crashes that I have had in the past have resulted in a kernel panic.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a nice bug. If you can reproduce that, it might be worthwhile to open a bug report. Kernel panics should never happen.

1 Like

UPDATE:

William has started with some preliminary testing with all three likely contenders (Raspberry Pi 2, BeagleBone Black, Banana Pi) with his personal 3D printer (a very nice Rostock… /jealous :wink: :slight_smile: )

I’d like to meet up at the 'Space this coming Sunday around noon to begin testing on the PolyPrinters (and hopefully engage some of y’all in helping William tweak the configurations to push each available microcomputer to it’s limit to get a solid idea of what we can expect from the devices.

Sean, each PolyPrinter has a webcam already installed (they come with the printer when we purchase them). Any power supplies, etc… that we may need, if not already available at the 'Space, can be picked up at Microcenter or Walmart.

Matt, that file looks like it’d be a good test for printer calibration. I’m not sure how much it would push the devices (memory-wise), as it seems like it’s a pretty quick print (relatively speaking). We can def try it! On that note, William has mentioned a file that has crashed other devices in the past; but, not the Banana Pi, so his file may be a good choice, too!

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so far! This is something I’ve been wanting to do for a while (been trying to figure out for longer than I care to admit); and, I had just about resolved myself to picking up a Raspberry Pi and try the OctoPi (like I mentioned before) just days ago… The timing of this thread could not have been better! (Thanks Svejk! Now stop reading my mind! J/K… :wink: :slight_smile: )

Tagging everyone who has responded so far, so y’all will get notification that there’s an update with all y’all in mind!
Svejk (@Svejk), Sean (@zootboy), Pearce (@PearceDunlap), Michael P (@MichaelPursifull), Mitch (@themitch22), Todd (@tmc4242), Paul (@paulstaf), Russell (@Gimli), Michael L (@mlass), Matt (@Comter), William (No tag for William… I can only tag 10 members… :frowning: William has been testing all day though, so I’m sure he is keeping an eye on the thread… :wink: :slight_smile: )

Thanks again ALL y’all!
:slight_smile:

Oh shucks… I get to tag you after-all William (@william_petefish) - cuz I forgot to add…

I’m glad you are configuring the software to handle more than what our focus range will be - in order to have a buffer to allow for expansion, etc… Thanks!

For those just joining this thread… My goal for the webcams is to run one webcam per microcomputer with 320x240 resolution at 5 fps - to keep overall bandwidth at a reasonable level. :slight_smile:

The hunt begins:

The Raspberry pi Pre-configured image is nice… BUT I have a suspicion that it is struggling to keep up with my printer.

I am going to re-configure the Raspi to a compiled version of the software…

The Beagle Bone Black test was nothing short of a total FUBAR. Octoprint can’t see the printer and on top of that Motion, which I use for streaming since it is cross-platform for all and it is hulla easy to config, keeps crashing. It would work for about 10 seconds before eating it. lsusb didn’t show the printer… so… yeah.

The Banana Pi says: “Honey Badger don’t care.”

1 Like

I’m curious what distro(s) you’re using to do these tests. And in the case of the BBB, what USB hub.

[quote=“zootboy, post:43, topic:2231, full:true”]
I’m curious what distro(s) you’re using to do these tests. [/quote]

Debian and variants there of.

[quote=“zootboy, post:43, topic:2231, full:true”]
And in the case of the BBB, what USB hub. [/quote]

No hub… just trying to get the camera working while Octoprint is running. Then I tried it with a powered hub, no luck there either… brand new BBB rev. C.

I’ve seen issues with certain types of hubs not cooperating with the BBB if they weren’t present at bootup. If the devices aren’t showing up with an lsusb, try plugging them into the hub, plugging the hub in, and rebooting the BBB.