Recent 3D Gun Ruling

I assume no one here is probably even remotely interested but what do folks here think of the legality of banning any software design for a 3D print from being put on the internet? Would it also be illegal for someone to publish standard blueprints and specs for a device any competent machinist might make on his own tools?

1 Like
1 Like

It is worth noting:

Working on firearms at DMS is prohibited.

2 Likes

Probably worth specifying prohibition of 3D printing of parts.

Would that mean that cosplay would be prohibited from printing guns as well? might be hard to distinguish the two.

1 Like

All work on firearms, as defined by Dallas Makerspace, is STRICTLY PROHIBITIED unless there is a specific policy exemption listed.

This makes me wonder what the definition of “work” is.

Can a member open a 3d CAD file of a firearm and modify the CAD file at DMS? Or is that considered “working on” a firearm?

The ATF considers the Liberator a gun, and manufacturing one at the DMS has been prohibited due to a severe lack of assured clarity on its legality on the whole, so do NOT print one.

Also, making a Liberator out of PLA or ABS we have available is 100% guaranteed to blow up and take off a finger or two when you fire it.

4 Likes

I suspect that it’s probably not terribly important so long as you don’t try to make the thing onsite. The DMS policy on gunsmithing was drafted in response to concerns about legal liability and ATF enforcement actions, not an issue with guns per se.

Leaving aside this doomed, idiotic attempt at grandstanding by state AGs looking to pad reelection efforts, there is absolutely no legal repercussion for designing, sharing, or modifying plans for guns. It is categorically a protected class of free expression, just like The Anarchist Cookbook or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or machinery drawings of an AR-15 receiver like those available via the US government itself.

6 Likes

I would imagine that dealing with the physicality of the thing itself is the prohibited act since design schematics are mere information.

Unless you’re one of the AG’s in said legal case, then all bets are off.

1 Like

Might as well be banning internet drawings of how to build a zip gun in shop class.

1 Like

If we hadn’t any rules in place I’d love to see someone in small metals collaborate with Hatcher’s to try producing a 2mm Kolibri. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like