Plastics Committee Tools

Lets have an open discussion on what kind of tools we would like to see in a plastics committee.

We should avoid duplicating as many tools as possible. We already have a lot of tools that would be good for cutting/shaping eg. the vertical band saw.

Personally I would like to see a 4’x4’ thermoforming machine as well as heat bending brake, those are things that simply do not exist in DMS at the moment and would be extremely useful.

2 Likes

Dedicated CNC Router for Plastics.

3 Likes

I second the heat bending brake. We had a small tabletop one on loan for a while and I used it in a few protects to much success. Different plastic specific router bits and table saw blades would be nice. A plastics only table saw would be nice as well.

If Machine Shop will accept the donation I will give a table and a two-speed tilting band saw. While the Powermatic can cut plastics, this smaller saw will have blades with teeth designed for plastic and can be narrower for tighter curves.

I’ve been researching heating bending tables. We easily fabricate the table portion and buy ceramic heaters that the temp can be varied on - plus having two heaters so top and bottom can be heated ensuring even heat. These heaters are available in up to 96".

I’m excited about plastics having an official home.

5 Likes

I’ve seen something mentioned on Talk about there being an acrylic heater/bender under one of the Thunder lasers.

From my other thread:

Small Table Saw for cutting plastics. Yes - a dedicated saw. the woodshop (which will be on the other side of world) is so restrictive basically its a pain in the azz to try to cut plastics. BTW, the saws and blades as they are would cut plastics, but the rules are the rules due to filtering.

Router Table: basically for trimming the edges of the plastics. At minimum a trim router with a follower bit would be needed. I am willing to donate the router table for the committee.

Plastics Bender: I believe one exists and is under the Thunder laser. If it is in working order it will need table space.
Heat sources: basically a heat gun and torches for cleaning up the edges of acrylics.

Drill press: Available next door in the machine shop.

Storage Cabinet: needed to store adhesives, tools, project stock, etc.
===addition===
the vacuum former might be a good candidate for this space too.

3 Likes

Edge beveler would be a nice finishing tool

It’s quite possible my information is out of date, so @heyheymama correct me if needed, but this is the one located below Thunder (Nova 63)…

And this one is stored on the top shelf under the laser work table…

Both were donated to the laser committee prior to my being chair and were seldom used.

I’m sure we can find a home for those!

I also think a small dust collector that can be hooked up to a table saw and/or router table would be good. otherwise, you’ll find plastic sticks to EVERYTHING. There are shopvacs available in the machine shop, but better to capture what we can ahead of time.

3 Likes

Hi, I was browsing the new wiki page and noticed that a table saw wasn’t on the list of planned or prospective tools. Is there any talk of including a table saw in the new room? This would be very useful for cutting down large sheet plastic or composite stock. My understanding is that the woodshop committee doesn’t look kindly on cutting plastics or composites on their tools, so having a dedicated table saw for this would be useful.

Injection mold

2 Likes

I fully agree with you, but the chair of the Machine Shop which governs the plastics group does not want to see a duplication of existing resources that are already in another department. Another argument was that anything requiring a table saw would generally be large sheet material, and not appropriate for cutting on what would likely be a smaller contractor saw. The larger Delta table saw in the woodshop is a more appropriate tool. but you’ll have to deal with their rules.

Don’t forget that sheet material can be cut down with a saber or jig saw. Final cutting to rough shapes can be done on the bandsaw which should be available. cheers!

1 Like

I have a cabinet saw table saw that I could probably be persuaded into donating to plastics if we decide we want one. Motor is 110v/220v so whatever power is available would be fine, although 110 should certainly be sufficient for plastics.

2 Likes

that is very kind of you. If the circumstances change we’ll take you up on it. Assuming the board item merging the space with the machine shop passes, our equipment needs will flesh themselves out after the expansion move (3 months maybe??).

No rush. It’s in the corner of the garage out of the way.

A co-worker of mine has a dust collector with very low mileage on it that he is trying to get rid of., needs more room in his garage It’s a possible donation to Plastics. Will keep on him.

4 Likes

thank you. plastics generate a lot of static and stick to everything. catching it ahead of time will be helpful.

1 Like

Noted, and I sincerely appreciate the response - thanks

@Chris_Wischkowsky stop being a cheap bastard and buy a table saw - thanks!!

Plastic welding tools – basically dedicated soldering irons with flattened tips and consumable rods of different types of plastics (latter optional, obvs, we can have folks bring them in as with any consumable but might not hurt to have some on hand)

3 Likes

Ultrasonic welding is also great