Pets / Service animals at Open House

Continuing the discussion from DMS Open House
Flyers
:

[quote=“AlexRhodes, post:11, topic:4789,
full:true”]

No. Only service animals are allowed.

[/quote]

Yikes! Do we need to make a special inspection of the floors in the metal-working/machining areas (for chips) to make sure they are bare paw friendly?

Chris

1 Like

No. Service animals and their caregivers should be aware & prepared. Same as anyone. Having said that, it might be NICE of some kind-hearted person to help them out. Make them aware they’re headed for the shop where metal shavings are likely, that sort of thing. Let them know if it appears especially littered, but we should always be driving for cleanliness so nothing special should need done.

All IMO, of course.

Service animals in the machine shop should just be avoided. Dogs don’t know to not look at a welding arc and don’t wear shoes.

and their caretaker can provision protection for the animals eyes and feet (and ears, et.) if that is something they want to pursue.

BTW, small details, but…
welders are in metal shop.
Machine shop has mill, HAAS, lathe, etc.

1 Like

As far as I was told we have some members with bad allergies.

1 Like

My mistake. That’s next to pottery. Dogs should be allowed in the pottery area. They have a calming effect and improve the chances of successful firing.

2 Likes

We haven’t had a single legitimate service animal come to DMS before, to my knowledge.
It’s also not our responsibility to prepare for that - I don’t know of a single establishment that is prepared for service animals. I’d say PetSmart, but they allow ALL animals.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable. But I guess if one shows up on Saturday for the Open House, we volunteers need to be sensitive to gently explain to the animal’s handler the hazards that a workshop-type environment presents to the animal.

3 Likes

And tend to be ill prepared for any of them, but that’s certainly a flaggable off-topic statement.

I imagine the caretaker would already be well aware of the hazards as long as they know where they’re going, meaning don’t let anyone on your tour (that we’re not giving) remain under the impression they’re touring the Interactive Classroom when you’re actually taking them to the Metal Shop.
I think it’s important to welcome folks who may need service animals (the most familiar to me beeing “seeing eye dogs”), and I think it should be clear that “we are headed for the metal shop where it’s likely to be noisy, dusty, and to have metal debris on the floor, so be careful and well equipped” is a warning for the group, not to be directed to a single person for whatever reason…
And yes, I know several folks who are blind and yet build some really cool stuff in their woodsheds. Buh-lew my mind to find out they use power tools, including table saws, band saws, lathes, etc. but it’s something they wanted to do, and figured out how. Among the 30 or so fingers they were born with, all remain. So I’d hate to deny someone like that admittance because I think it’s hazardous. These activities tend to be hazardous to us all. Yet, many of us choose to accept that hazard and do wood working or metal working or vacuum forming anyway…