Odd Tree Behavior

Here’s something odd:

The trunks of these two red oak trees meet at the ground in my flower bed. One has dropped all of its leaves, but one has dropped almost none. My next-door neighbor’s red oak has also dropped all of its leaves, but my neighbor almost directly across the street has dropped almost none.

Any arborists in the house that might be able to posit an explanation?

No Arborist, but my little oak has never actually dropped leaves until the new leaves start coming out. Kinda like a live oak. Maybe it’s the mistaken identity syndrome? Like cats who think they are dogs?

1 Like

It’s the pretty sister. There is always one with twins. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Marshall, do you see this same behavior every winter between these two trees? My red oak likes to hold onto most leaves until the spring when the next leaves arrive. My pin oaks drop their leaves like photosynthesis is going out of style. I’ve seen other red oaks in the 'hood that seem to drop their leaves.

1 Like

I can’t remember if it was same last year or before…I assume not as I hope I would have had same thought as now, as in WTF?

In fact I said Red Oak, but trees in question may be Pin Oak as well…hard to tell the difference for an amateur. But certainly whichever species, it is hard to explain why what is effectively the same tree behaves so different with regard to leaves falling. Mostly I am worried that one trunk or the other has a problem, i.e. might be getting sick.

1 Like

Don’t have an answer for you, but I like this website for helping ID trees so I thought I’d share…

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu

I think “red oak” is a name for a large family of oak tree species that have a red tint to their wood, versus white oaks having a lighter color. So your tree could be more specifically a pin oak, but also a red oak :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It comes from the root system. If the roots are larger on one side it will keep it’s leaves. They lose their leaves based on the amount of fluid. The higher level of fluid the less stimulus there will be for a freeze. I have one in my front yard that just dropped but the big one in back is just now dropping them.

4 Likes

My former neighbor. a master gardener, used to manage the timing of his leaf drop by managing the watering.

1 Like

I used to grow all my own veggies. Don’t do non edibles though.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

You probably want to edit your comment and obfuscate your contacts so web crawlers don’t immediately start calling and emailing you…

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]