Nylon on the polyprinters

I was wondering if we were able to use nylon with the dms printers.

1 Like

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/3D_Fabrication_Committee

…no.

1 Like

…fourth bullet item. If you have the time you could help get the Sinterit SLS machine working.

Brian is correct. The new printer we got is an SLS (selective laser sintering) printer. It sinters layers of powdered nylon to make parts.

You can technically print nylon on the PolyPrinters but we only print ABS on the PolyPrinters because we want to prevent downtime if the nozzles get jammed (same with PETG). We have a Printrbot Simple Metal with a hardened nozzle and heated bed that should be able to print nylon, you’ll have to download and configure Cura or Simplify3d for the printer and it’s on the network under 192.168.200.99.

Sorry if that does help but I’m trying to get someone to take charge of the Sinterit Lisa so we can start making awesome nylon stuff.

1 Like

Some flexible filaments, like Ninjaflex, are permitted on the polyprinters. This does require a class just to be aware of some possible issues.

@themitch22. I don’t understand. PETG hasn’t shown to be prone to clogs. It was dismissed to maintain the current chair’s desire for consistency.

I’m not going to stop you. Really it’s up to PolyPrinter if they would support a PETG profile for the printers. There’s no evidence I know to back that PETG could jam the nozzle other than swapping different materials can cause issue if it wasn’t properly purged and there’s charred filament from it being cooked at a higher temp than the previous filament. PETG is around 240C, ABS is little higher, I know PETG can be gummy like PLA though. Nylon is really sticky and is actually a good way to clean out a hotend with a cold pull. So I’m just backing what the chair has said, no your specific case. I really don’t see why you’d want PETG on the PolyPrinters when you can print ABS just as easily.

@PearceDunlap, @edkman, or @James_Koffeman want to weigh in on PETG for PolyPrinter?

PolyPrinter didn’t disallow alternative filaments on the printers at the DMS. We use a ton of different types at the shop.

The space has limited the types of filament used because it keeps it consistent for everyone and doesn’t result in the wrong settings being used for the wrong filaments.

Based on the questions I was asked tonight while I was in 3dfab, the classes aren’t even conveying the standard class info too well, im not sure adding in extra filament profiles would help the confusion coming out of the classes

4 Likes

Exactly what Pearce said. The class is just the basics. We only allow and for consistency. I know you really love your path but that’s the way things are.

Thank you.

1 Like