Need volunteers (Mitch is too busy)

So if you haven’t noticed, since I started at MultiCAM and moved to my new apartment I haven’t been spending much time at the makerspace. I am kind of burned out putting out non-literal fires in 3D fab.

We need volunteers for 3D fab stuff!

• The RFID locking cabinet is wired up with a Pi with piface digital I/O sheild relays, car door actuator locks, and an RFID reader. I have tried to have several people work on the programming side of it but it hasn’t been finished. The programmers I’ve asked (there’s several working on RFID interlock stuff of their own) are also too busy to finish.

• The filastruder and the filawinder in the draw under the form labs printer is partially built but had some issues and it really needs to get built. It was $500+ kit and I found the documentation lacking so it needs someone to look into it and see how to get it running. We have 10lbs. of virgin ABS pellets and it would be awesome to learn how to make our own filament.

• The Octoprint servers on the Polyprinters, need remote admin so we can push updates and fix issues. Also UTA fab lab has source code for Octoprint that I’d like us to adopt since it lets users log in with their ID’s, and prints receipts with filament costs. https://github.com/UTA-FabLab/OctoPuppet I would like someone with linux/pi/programming skills to work on this. We can allow you to use a pi for testing and work with @StanSimmons on the admin side of things.

• Sinterit SLS machine - We got a very nice and expensive selective laser sintering printer donated to the space but I nor others have had time to read and learn how to use it and set it up. I know it can produce really detailed models that don’t require support material and are made of nylon so it’s very strong. It’s a powder based consumable but I have no clue what it’ll cost to run and maintain the machine. We need someone to take charge and get it setup and teach classes on it.

I’m willing to put a cash bounty on some of these projects, I would also love to have documentation on what you did because we as a makerspace have a lot of undocumented projects that die when the previous person burns out and leaves.

I’m willing to talk in person or my DMS email [email protected]

@axeonos will probably want to read this.

1 Like

Who is allowed access to the cabinet? (Which Active Directory groups?)

I’ll try make it to the space in a day or so and will take a looksee to see where we are at

1 Like

Form 2 and Ninjaflex trained (not sure exact group names). It’s to protect our expensive resin and filaments that people could use without being trained and screw up the printers. I am also using this as a model for other RFID locking cabinets around the space (since we don’t seem to have many working RFID interlocking cabinets in use yet)

@mreynolds I’d really appreciate it, we’re coming up on a year and I was kind of excited for the idea of recycling filament/making my own colors and it’s a cool process.

Who else has worked on the software?

@benemorius has the last code on the Pi currently but has issues interfacing with the USB RFID reader, @denzuko originally wrote a python program but the SD card got corrupt and I lost his code and that needed a little bit of work, @Bill said something about it since he’s working on other stuff, @Gus_Reiter helped me originally with my code but my code didn’t work on start up, and @Perpetual made an awesome API for our AD lookups that I based it off of. @StanSimmons has probably the most knowledge of current RFID interlock stuff going on.

1 Like

I do Octoprint at home, might be able to help with that.

3 Likes

You’re saying there are many many hands working that particular pot of soup.

Is it similar / identical to other readers we have used at DMS? Do you have a link to it?

I remember that particular Pi not having a display. Is that correct?

Is most / all of the code written in Python?

Which committee owns the hardware?

I’m very interested in SLS, and am willing to take a whack at getting the printer running. I can help figure out the cost, and put together a training class for it.

5 Likes

I very much appreciate it. It’s all on the rolling cart now, we might need more space for it since it comes with a powder removal box (looks like a sand blaster). we can only reuse half the powder and the optics have to be kept clean. Let me or @axeonos know what you need!

1 Like

It’s the same generic USB RFID (acts like an HID keyboard) readers Stan has been using on his tablet in the common room. Like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/125kHz-USB-RFID-Contactless-Proximity-Sensor-Smart-ID-Card-Reader-EM4001-EM4100/121847477087?epid=514361477&hash=item1c5eacf35f:g:En0AAOSwHPlWevvm

It doesn’t have a display, there’s SSH and VLC for that IP.

3D fab specifically owns the hardware for that cabinet.

Will do. I’ll start working on it over the long weekend.

1 Like

@themitch22, is the Sinterit Lisa the printer that was donated? If so, did we get the Sieve, too?

Filawinder got assembled tonight. The motor doesn’t want to work though, I ran some power through it (using bench power in electronics) and it still doesn’t move. Needs a more expert electrician to diagnose why it’s not working.

Also couldn’t get the motor going on the filastruder although I noticed loose wiring. I will take a better look soon.

5 Likes

Yes the Sinterit Lisa and I think the seive comes with it. All the stuff should be there on the cart.

1 Like

@mreynolds you’re awesome! I’ll come to the space tomorrow probably and look at it if you’re able to stop by.

I can look at that.

I will probably be in Wednesday or Thursday.

1 Like

@benemorius has been working on it and said it’s working, we just need to make sure we have the AD groups set and I need a electromechanical failsafe which will probably be a jack I can manually pop the actuators open with that’s locked.

1 Like

I’d also like to take a wack at this machine. I think this is right up my alley. Where is the machine currently?

1 Like