Metaza engraver class was great!

My wife and I took the Metaza engraving class last night and had a blast! @LisaSelk did a great job teaching and walking us through the process of setting up the image to be engraved, setting up the machine, and actually engraving the metal. Love the class, love the machine!

4 Likes

I didn’t even realize we had an impact printer. Neat!

2 Likes

Very new acquisition.

1 Like

Thanks for the props @Andyhill! I love how your dog bone dog tag worked out! I also learned some things about what we have available in our #jewelry-smallmetals area thanks to you and @HeatherHill! It was a good class all around! Thanks for coming out, and don’t forget to post pix in the current #public-relations:show-and-tell thread! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are a couple pendants that were engraved during the Midnight Makers class…

Rose (@rpetefish) engraved a Celtic knot onto a circle pendant…

And Haley (@Haley_Moore) used a type foundry mold to engrave a tiny engraving of the machine it was used on onto it.

We had three non member visitors attend. One made a gift for someone, and another engraved a cat on a circle…

Finally, Matt (@Comter) joined the class in place of a now show, and engraved a couple of really neat things…

All in all it was another fun and successful class!

Many Thanks to everyone who has attended the two classes with me this week! So many awesome pendants and other items have been engraved so far! I can’t wait to see more pictures posted on this thread, as well as on the current #public-relations:show-and-tell thread!!

2 Likes

-the purring dork

1 Like

the class was great. this wireframe Darth Vader was done on a lighter. We did run into a problem in that the printer parameters is locked at 50mm which limited how large this image could be done. I’m putting an issue request in on it.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mataza table size parameter not changable by regular humans

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mataza table size parameter not changable by regular humans

Engravers should also note, that we have a diamond drag bit for the multicam CNC machine, which is capable of doing engravings on a huge variety of material sizes and types. For example, it could cut the same image as Nick’s at the same size, or do the same image at full size on a 5’x10’ piece of stock (metals, glass, plastic, stone, etc.)

Basically, the drag bit can engrave any material softer than a diamond, in sizes from 1 inch x 1 inch, up to 5 feet x 10 feet.

Irregular objects often need a fixture to hold the stock being cut, however.

3 Likes

yes a diamond drag bit can give some good details. Unlike the Metaza which cuts by impact, the DD bit is being dragged across the surface and you can create patterns such as a cross hatch fill. The black is anodized steel, and the other was done on a raw block of aluminum. I bought a few pendants for the Metaza and will probably cut on on my CNC with the drag bit for comparison. Still - really liking the Metaza.

3 Likes

Metaza vs. Shapoko battle begins!

3 Likes