Metal Shop Comittee Meeting June 15th?

As mentioned here:

I am curious about this “Metal Shop meeting on the 15th”.
Nothing is posted on the calendar.
Nothing is posted anywhere else that I know of.
So…I take it there’s some sort of metal shop committee meeting somewhere, sometime, on July 15, 2016?

1 Like

Sorry, just now got back around to reading/responding.

Yes, Lee told me, last week, that there would be a Metal Shop meeting at 7pm on 15-Jul (Wed).

I think there may be a sooper-sekret Metal Shop email list, but I’m not on it. :smiley:

1 Like

We do need to have a metal shop meeting, and we discussed the 15th. Lets do it then, Wednesday, at 7PM. I especially need to see the persons who set up the plasma cutter computer. Post if you can be there.

Thanks.

1 Like

I will be there. Wasn’t part of the plasma cutter computer though.

@Chris_Wischkowsky @JAGMAN

I believe you’ll were the ones who had it working

Looks like @Draco is the most recent person to have worked on the computer:

Lee and I discussed a second table. Options that I see are 1) make one, or 2) buy one like this one. Put a curtain between the existing one and the new one.

(edit: I will not be able to attend, so I put this here for discussion. Metal shop needs nice things, too, eh?)

1 Like

Those rock! Has any one sized/priced them?

I think a second table would be lovely, but honestly, that area is SO crowded…
on the other hand, the existing table is a loaner, though I get the impression it’s “forever”.
Metal Shop has done some nice growing, and I would like to help it continue…

You know, there’s a lot of extra junk in the middle of the room and by the CNC plasma. Can that be shoved over to one side? I’d help (and I’ll be there tomorrow night and Thursday)

Ah, one other item: The Miller (250?) has a bad cooler, so the water-cooled torch can’t be used. Could we equip this with an air-cooled torch and run it that way until the cooler is fixed? Might not even need a 2nd water-cooled, as most projects are easily done with air cooled at < 150amps.

OTOH, this creates more opportunity for melted torches when someone runs too many amps for too long.

and if the water cooler is as easily fixed as the other, it should be done, in my opinion. It took less than 1/2 hour to pull the motor, and though I was not there for the re-assembly, it probably was less than an hour. Of course, Lee was the poor guy who got suckered into schlepping it off to the shop and schlepping back its replacement…

BTW, speaking of which, does anyone know if the new cooling fan motor needs oiled? It seemed universally surprising to all involved that the outbound (frozen) one did…

I can take a look at the cooler when I’m there in the next couple days. I’m kinda doubting that the fan would need be oiled but you never know.

I can find the place in the owner’s manual for the Coolmate 3x where it calls for oiling the bearings. (page 5, step 7, bottom left pictogram).
I’m not finding it in the Coolmate 4’s manual, but I know the old motor had oil cups on the bearings…

BTW, the Coolmate 3x on the Syncrowave 250 assembly is shown in the owner’s manual, and should be helfpul in disassembly, if needed. I think one would want to do some test welding first, to see if the fan is spinning and/or coolant is pumping before breaking it out. That was the case with the 351/Coolmate 4; it would work for a few minutes, and then the motor would freeze up (hence, no coolant flow, no cooling, no fan spinning). I keep thinking I’ll investigate, but have trouble freeing up the time (or someone’s using the other welders)…

Do we know where we are meeting?

I did, but forgot. Just checked it’s the lecture hall on the calendar

1 Like

I just added it earlier today, so you’re not crazy @jast.

1 Like

Thank you for that, because I had JUST checked the top of the thread, and the calendar. :smiley:

So I just joined today, few hours ago, and would like to jump head first into being involved., is there a way I can come to this meeting tonight?

1 Like

Yes, committe meetings are open to any member interested.

1 Like

So, just show up before hand and knock on the door since I wont have a card yet. I assume it would be a bit presumptuous to ask for a card tonight for the door tonight.

1 Like