June Welding Classes

I completely agree; my plan was to work with Chuck and Lee to become an instructor.

2 Likes

This was my understanding as well and I’ve taken that class. How exactly that’s tracked is a mystery to me though

I think once you’ve taken it, Lee recognizes you.
Not very scientific, though, if Lee’s the only one teaching it, fully reliable.
To tell the truth, I think if you show up “ready for business”, and act like you’re ready to weld, Lee probably won’t toss you out. This is really an effort to do 2 things:

1. Keep people safe.
  2. Stop wasting people’s time. When folks think it’s appropriate (or to be fair, who just don’t know better–though this is beyond my ken) to be in the metal shop in flip flops and parachute pants (especially to “learn to weld”) they’re wasting their own time, the instructors time, and their classmates’ time.

Let me know how I can help. I really REALLY want to help make Metal Shop soar. I’m just not very good at it. :smiley:

No, he simply asked and trusted to the honor system.

1 Like

which bolsters my assertion:

because

Wait.
I’ve been on this ride before…
:slight_smile:

Practice, practice, practice! Yeah, once you can weld safely, it’s a lifetime of learning to weld. :wink:

1 Like

I think the only thing I’d be rated to teach on is Shapeoko but hey, it’s a start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you do a Train the Trainer class. would be willing to help produce the training materials.

1 Like

Who were you asking? It doesn’t show up.

I think he’s asking ANYONE who is considered fit to teach. In other words, YOU, if you become vetted, or TBJK, or Lee, or Chuck, so we can have a more or less standard curriculum, a few teachers, and actually get some traction on meeting the hunger for welding classes at DMS.

OR maybe that’s just my take on it.

Good enough for me. I was planning (and even talked to Lee about) coming to the Metal Shop meeting on the 15th, but I have a family conflict and can’t do that. However, I am interested in teaching the Safety and TIG classes per whatever standard curriculum Chuck/Lee/TBJK has come up with, once tested/vetted.

I can easily do one of both classes after work once a month. (Weekends are tough, as I live over toward FTW – coming to DMS after work in Addison is best).

1 Like

I will plan on making the committee meeting then on the 15th. Perhaps we can come up with something & have a little pow wow afterwards.

1 Like

I’ve done Oxy, Stick, and TIG … I would limit myself to TIG initially as it is what I’ve retained the most proficiency at.

My stick/TIG machine has been idle for a year since I moved houses. I still have a 50 A breaker to install in the panel. :frowning:

Hi! I’m Nichole and I’ve recently joined. If it’s useful to anyone at all, I’m a welding student at Tarrant County College and currently on break until late Aug. If anyone needs help with MIG while I’m around or help with a MIG class, feel free to get in touch. I also do ‘stick’, but assume that type isn’t available at the Space? I didn’t see any plasma screens or curtains. :slight_smile:

REALLY looking forward to another TIG class, if one is coming up. That’s coming up in the fall and I’d love to get a head start.

Anyway, just wanted to say ‘hey’ and introduce myself since I plan to spend a good amount of time in and around the metal shop. Take care and see ya around!

2 Likes

Stick is available.
As well as MIG and TIG (and spot).
No oxy-acetelyne.

1 Like

You would be most welcome as an instructor! If you can drop by one of the welding classes and introduce yourself to Lee he could show you around our equipment and how to get teaching!

Welcome to Makerspace - volunteering to teach makes the place work.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks, good to know.

1 Like

I will absolutely do that. Thank you!

1 Like

My son is a Junior in HS and has been given some preliminary welding instruction via his engineering course / STEM program. We wanted to find a facility where he can come and practice (since we know it’s more about practicing the skill and gaining experience). Any suggestions? Otherwise we’d be willing to pay an instructor or person that has their own welding equipment to work with him. Just want additional opportunities for him to develop his skills than what is provided in classroom. TY 214-901-9010