Making a linoleum or rubber stamp: Shapeoko2 training?

Hoping I can find someone who will either put together a class or train me one on one. Would like to carve a large linoleum stamp.

Just in case your not aware, you can use the laser as well when making such block stamps. The only caveat is that it needs to be real linoleum, or one of the modern laserable materials.

I have used these (and verified via their MSDS that they are safe on our laser).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYVMHA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Thanks! I was planning to use Speedball brand for the Shapeoko. Iā€™m really glad to know that it works on the laser as well. My son just showed me the no odor rubber heā€™s used for stamps from a laser, too. Looks like the Zing will be my first choice since Iā€™ve 1) completed the training, and 2) thereā€™s not even a computer attached to the Shapeoko in CA.

I might stick to the linoleum, though, for the canning label stamp I want to make. I think I recall that provides a softer stamped image.

Is a laser setting for linoleum in the binder or do you recall what you used?

(PS Edited the title to get this on track.)

You either need to use your own computer or one of the DMS laptops when using the Shapeoko. @rshill is the one teaching the classes on this machine.

It has been a while but I think so. I know I used the setting from the Zing book (I too used the Zing on raster for this), but am not sure what the material I used. If you donā€™t see it in the book, my suggestion is to pick up an extra block of linoleum at least 4x6 and run some test cuts on it.

After finishing mine, I would suggest two passes at the settings I used from the book (I know not very helpful) since my depth of cut was only about 1/8", which wasnā€™t really enough for the use I had (printing a tshirt). Worked great for paper though.

1 Like

@jphelps usually does the Shapeoko trainingsā€¦
There is not a computer dedicated to the Shapeoko. Creative Arts will eventually get a laptop for it; but, in the meantime members can use the laptops available for members to use - located in the Common Room, or they can use their own laptop. Jay goes over all that in the class.

I know several members have engraved stamps on the lasers. The settings will vary depending on which laser you use, and how clean/dirty/recently adjusted the lasers are at any given time. Hopefully some of the members who have used the lasers to make stamps will be able to give you some guidelines to start with.

1 Like

When you get ready to print let me know. I want to see this. @macapaka just made a 3D printed plate for the letterpress to experiment with. Printmaking is an area that can grow substantially here.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Printmaking on the Letterpress?

Iā€™m sure its probably a simple mistake, but for the record, Iā€™ve never used the shapoko or taken the training. I certainly donā€™t teach the machine. I do most of my work on the multicam, and help with the testing for it. So if you need help with that, Iā€™d be happy to assist, but iā€™m not the guy for the shapoko.

1 Like

Sorry, I must have confused the person and talk handleā€¦

@jphelps is who I meant to link to (I think :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I found this at Hobby Lobby and thought Iā€™d ask if you can explain how you ā€œverified via their MSDS that they are safe on our laser.ā€ (Because I understand part of that statement, but donā€™t know the specifics.)

I like that I can pick these up, and I like the priceā€¦so itā€™s just a matter of learning if the materialā€™s appropriate.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Project-Supplies/Block-Printing/Jack-Richeson-Easy-to-Cut-Mounted-Linoleum/p/SP10015

One advantage I see to the Shapeoko for carving is that a depth could be set and avoid making two passes on the laser.

Hereā€™s a previous explanation:

I found a link online (google) for the speedball linoleum MSDS sheet. Nearly any product manufacturered (or sold?) in the US requires such a document. I canā€™t find one for the product you specified, so I would suggest sending the company an email

http://www.richesonart.com/contact/contactform.html

The key is if the material is traditionally made linoleum, which is just a product made from flax seed. Look at the MSDS for any material included, paying particular attention to chemical sounding names. The list of hazards can be a good indicator as well.

Thank you for looking that up for me.

http://www.richesonart.com/publications/catalogcomplete2016/index.html

In looking at their current catalog, they have this statement;

That statement makes me think there are at least a few ingredients beyond basic flax seeds, so I would be careful until/unless you can get them to provide an MSDS. This stuff sounds more like the ā€˜new linoleuumā€™ that Luke warned about in the above thread.

1 Like

Agreed. I sent them the question. Weā€™ll see. Otherwise Iā€™ll order the Speedball brand and twiddle my thumbs until it arrives.

Info came back as ā€œflexible pvc sketch trim,ā€ so canā€™t use it.

Iā€™ll order both the laser no odor rubber and the Speedball brand linoleum and let folks know which I enjoy more.

Eventually. As with all making, the ideas can run ahead of the time available.

2 Likes

So you can use it on the Shapeoko in a pinch, just not the lasers.

3 Likes

Sadly, this is not the case. The standard laptop image doesnā€™t have the necessary drivers installed. @LisaSelk, any chance we could get one or more of the community laptops updated with the missing pieces?

1 Like

Isnā€™t it the Arduino drivers that are needed? I know weā€™ve had it installed on previous laptopsā€¦ If itā€™s not on the current ones, hopefully Brooks (@bscharff) will give us a thumbs up on adding themā€¦ Thx for the headā€™s up! :smiley:

edit to add: BTW ~ Brooks has already said that Creative Arts can have a laptop to use for the Shapeoko though. I think itā€™s just on a back burner until the Creative Arts rooms are reorganized - so we know which computers/resources will end up where, etcā€¦ :wink: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used the tan speedball lino on both the laser and on the Shapeoko. It cut well on the laser although is was a bit smelly (itā€™s made with linseed oil). It cut well on the Shapeoko too. I tried the gray speedball lino on a Shapeoko and it seemed a bit ā€œmeltyā€. I think itā€™s safe for the laser too but itā€™s been awhile since I looked up all of the MSDSā€™s. I know that the softer materials from speedball are not laser safe as they contain PVC.

The tan stuff is available at most craft and art stores around town. The MSDSā€™s are available online or you can email speedball.

3 Likes