Looking for help on a "How to Video Fireballs, Exposions, and Pyrotechnics Class!"

Continuing the discussion from DMS 360 Video for Virtual Tour:

Start with a Boom!

My goal in this thread is to setup a off-site class for DMS Members and myself to learn techniques for videoing and photographing pyrotechnic effects.

I’m part of a local pyrotechnics group called Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, also known as PAT. We have the licensing, insurance, and facilities to setup an event for us to video/photograph these effects. But, PAT and I don’t have the know how to get Professional looking footage of the effects we create.

I was wondering if we have any connections within DMS to find a person willing to teach some techniques to videoing and photographing pyrotechnics?

Also, do we have any members that would want the opportunity video / photograph some pyrotechnics setup just for them?

Thanks for the help,
Nick

3 Likes

Step 1 - Exposure Lock.
Step 2 - Hit record.
Step 3 - Run away.

EDIT:

Step 4 - Goto Step 1

5 Likes

@corbimos or I may be able to help get you started. There really isn’t too much more to it than setting proper exposure and making sure to record in a high frame rate for those cool slo mo effects. GoPros, or similar cameras, are really reliable for high frame rate capabilities and they can get really close to the action.

2 Likes

That would be awesome,
I know a bit about setting exposure for a photo, but absolutely nothing on the video side. I would guess it is similar? I had lunch with my buddy Matt and he has a casio 1000fps camera he wants to try out as well. Exciting stuff, I’ll keep sharing if I get any more details.

1 Like

Exposure for photo and video are pretty similar. The big difference is that youre taking at least 24 to 30 pictures a second with video, so the shutter has to be fast enough to not blur the subject.

Typically twice the frame rate, 1/48 or 1/60 is a good place to start.

But, since youll be shooting fast explosions, id crank that shutter as high as you can go. No lower than 1/500 for sure.

Though it is not directly applicable, I have a bit of experience taking stills and video of model and high power rocket flights.

Here is an example: http://www.dars.org/gallery/dads2005/p6180442.htm

1 Like

Neat pictures @Bill. The failures of rockets are often more photogenic than the successes.

@julzperkins and @Corbimos,
So you would be up for being my teacher / teachers on this?

I know we need to chat more before we make anything official. But, if you are in I’ll setup some time that we can chat and make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks,
Nick Sainz

I suggest a day of making fireballs to “practice”

2 Likes

@Lampy does have a point!

I’d love to help out! I dont have any experience shooting explosions, but as @julzperkins points outs, the theory is all the same. Id like to test shooting flames one day before i dive into a how to for everyone else.

There are some small deatails on how we can sharpen in post and how to shoot for it that i’d like to get down before officially teaching something.

I agree,
Maybe we make the event less class structure and more experimental shooting. Because it is off-site we won’t be able to get honorarium any way. But, since there is a bit of work required to get everything together I would like to allow as many people access as possible.

1 Like

Love that idea! Keep me in the know!

1 Like

Ahh. Pyrotechnics brings the teenager back out of me.

1 Like

That sounds awesome! I’d love to be a part of that!

1 Like