Laser needs volunteers for the open house?

Sign me up @Team_Laser

Adding text to get over 50 chars.

2 Likes

I could design a little handout and cut them on demand from 1/4 ply.

2 Likes

Hey Evan

Thanks for the offer many of us will be around for open house. I think @heyheymama our chair emeritus has a coordinated plan please check with her.

Thanks
Joshua

2 Likes

Would laser be interested in cutting nametags for the new chair/vice chairs during open house as a demo? Just say yes. Just say yes.

3 Likes

@evanfort Terrific! Would you PM me your email address? Gotta organize some of this off-channel as some recruits-to-date don’t check Talk. What did you have in mind for a hand out? Sounds interesting. We’ve got 4 lasers at our disposal for 8 hours. (rubs hands together with glee)

@Team_Laser and fellow laser-trained Makers: So far we have @skwurl, Haley, @grahamb, @aysha, @merissa, Evan and myself for OH. 8 hours, 4 machines. Plenty of room for more Laser-ers. Please PM me your email address if interested.

The Plan:

• Help a sister Committee: make laser-engraved blocks for Printmaking’s Laser Block Printing class. A set of 26 initials with a generic background. Blocks are 2" x 3.5" out of 1/4" plywood. Rastered at 300s/10p on Donner or Blitzen.
  • Make a take-away: cork coasters. Haley is designing an autumn-themed print. We will need either Ikea placemats or a roll of cork.
  • Help @uglyknees: making nametags for chairs/vice chairs. Use the Zing.

The Needs:

• Cleaning: Friday, October 5th at 7pm.
  • {Placeholder for Evan’s idea.}
  • Cork: @merissa - would you reply with that link to the roll cork please?
  • Plywood: Need someone to pick up and deliver 1/4" baltic birch ply on day. Might need it cut down. Will know size soon.
  • @Mrksls2 - I need to get with you re: type & source of dual layer acrylic, settings and file.
  • Acrylic: Need someone to pick up acrylic. Pick up @Mrksls2’s leftover acrylic.
  • Magnets for nametags: Will send a link to our Procurement Officer @talkers. @uglyknees has ordered magnets.
  • Food & drink: because of course. @Scott_Blevins has vaguely hinted that he might have a brisket in his freezer.
1 Like

What do I need to do?
Do you want me to design the name tags and the file and all that or do you want to use the “teacher” template that someone had? I have the majority of names ready to go. I can buy whatever we need as well.

Want me to but this? https://www.amazon.com/Set-100-Magnetics-Neodymium-BM-2MAG-1/dp/B00CI9XKVC/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1537884715&sr=8-18&keywords=name+tag+magnet+backs

Looks like that’s Mark Salas @Mrksls2

1 Like

I’ve sent out an email to the Laser OH Crew.
Mark has extra acrylic, enough, he estimates, for 80 name tags.
Nicole has sent a names file and ordered magnets.

Clean-ers on Friday welcome.
More Laser-ers on Open House day welcome.

Magnets came in last night - they are in the teaching cabinet.
What else do I need to do?

@Mrksls2 put his DMS name tag on the shared drive but I haven’t started that yet.

1 Like

This is the kind of task that’s totally in my wheelhouse.

If you still need help setting up nametags send me a PM.

1 Like

@Team_Laser, @heyheymama,

I am FULLY committed to providing SMOKED BRISKET for the Laser Open House Volunteers on Sat., Oct. 6. I’ll happily feed those who in turn ‘feed’ Team Laser.

Because brisket is a rather time-intensive and involved process, if anyone wants to bring critically needed bbq accessories…cheap white bread and tortillas, sliced onion, sliced pickles…and any fitting side dish (think beans, coleslaw, potato salad) it would be most appreciated. I will make the sauce.

PLEASE reply to this post if any of you fine folks would be willing to bring a side item! That way I know I won’t need to procure it at the last minute

I can also come to DMS Friday after work to help clean and prep. the Laser area in preparation for Open House on Saturday.

1 Like

potato salad
are you going to make me bring german-style potato salad?