Laser needs volunteers for the open house?

Sign me up @Team_Laser

Adding text to get over 50 chars.

2 Likes

I could design a little handout and cut them on demand from 1/4 ply.

2 Likes

Hey Evan

Thanks for the offer many of us will be around for open house. I think @heyheymama our chair emeritus has a coordinated plan please check with her.

Thanks
Joshua

2 Likes

Would laser be interested in cutting nametags for the new chair/vice chairs during open house as a demo? Just say yes. Just say yes.

3 Likes

@evanfort Terrific! Would you PM me your email address? Gotta organize some of this off-channel as some recruits-to-date donā€™t check Talk. What did you have in mind for a hand out? Sounds interesting. Weā€™ve got 4 lasers at our disposal for 8 hours. (rubs hands together with glee)

@Team_Laser and fellow laser-trained Makers: So far we have @skwurl, Haley, @grahamb, @aysha, @merissa, Evan and myself for OH. 8 hours, 4 machines. Plenty of room for more Laser-ers. Please PM me your email address if interested.

The Plan:

• Help a sister Committee: make laser-engraved blocks for Printmakingā€™s Laser Block Printing class. A set of 26 initials with a generic background. Blocks are 2" x 3.5" out of 1/4" plywood. Rastered at 300s/10p on Donner or Blitzen.
  • Make a take-away: cork coasters. Haley is designing an autumn-themed print. We will need either Ikea placemats or a roll of cork.
  • Help @uglyknees: making nametags for chairs/vice chairs. Use the Zing.

The Needs:

• Cleaning: Friday, October 5th at 7pm.
  • {Placeholder for Evanā€™s idea.}
  • Cork: @merissa - would you reply with that link to the roll cork please?
  • Plywood: Need someone to pick up and deliver 1/4" baltic birch ply on day. Might need it cut down. Will know size soon.
  • @Mrksls2 - I need to get with you re: type & source of dual layer acrylic, settings and file.
  • Acrylic: Need someone to pick up acrylic. Pick up @Mrksls2ā€™s leftover acrylic.
  • Magnets for nametags: Will send a link to our Procurement Officer @talkers. @uglyknees has ordered magnets.
  • Food & drink: because of course. @Scott_Blevins has vaguely hinted that he might have a brisket in his freezer.
1 Like

What do I need to do?
Do you want me to design the name tags and the file and all that or do you want to use the ā€œteacherā€ template that someone had? I have the majority of names ready to go. I can buy whatever we need as well.

Want me to but this? https://www.amazon.com/Set-100-Magnetics-Neodymium-BM-2MAG-1/dp/B00CI9XKVC/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1537884715&sr=8-18&keywords=name+tag+magnet+backs

Looks like thatā€™s Mark Salas @Mrksls2

1 Like

Iā€™ve sent out an email to the Laser OH Crew.
Mark has extra acrylic, enough, he estimates, for 80 name tags.
Nicole has sent a names file and ordered magnets.

Clean-ers on Friday welcome.
More Laser-ers on Open House day welcome.

Magnets came in last night - they are in the teaching cabinet.
What else do I need to do?

@Mrksls2 put his DMS name tag on the shared drive but I havenā€™t started that yet.

1 Like

This is the kind of task thatā€™s totally in my wheelhouse.

If you still need help setting up nametags send me a PM.

1 Like

@Team_Laser, @heyheymama,

I am FULLY committed to providing SMOKED BRISKET for the Laser Open House Volunteers on Sat., Oct. 6. Iā€™ll happily feed those who in turn ā€˜feedā€™ Team Laser.

Because brisket is a rather time-intensive and involved process, if anyone wants to bring critically needed bbq accessoriesā€¦cheap white bread and tortillas, sliced onion, sliced picklesā€¦and any fitting side dish (think beans, coleslaw, potato salad) it would be most appreciated. I will make the sauce.

PLEASE reply to this post if any of you fine folks would be willing to bring a side item! That way I know I wonā€™t need to procure it at the last minute

I can also come to DMS Friday after work to help clean and prep. the Laser area in preparation for Open House on Saturday.

1 Like

potato salad
are you going to make me bring german-style potato salad?