Interest Gauge: 2D Drawing for the Absolute Beginner

Are you interested in a class about the fundamentals of two dimensional drawing using a computer?

I am starting to learn Inkscape for using the laser cutters and have found it fairly easy going. My prior experience consists of several years of intense use of Aldus Persuasion along with some PageMaker and find the skills to be applicable. I also have several years of very casual Photoshop use and found the transition to GIMP to be easy.

I will cover the difference between vector and bitmap (or raster) editing, then present basic usage of the Inkscape vector graphics editor and the GIMP image editor.

2 Likes

I am very interested! But I think you know that.

Also interested. Keep trying to teach myself but I’m a crap student. I usually behave better for other instructors than myself, and thus learn more.

Definitely, that’s why I signed up for Lynda.com so I can learn … I get my two weeks beginning the 26th

I also have tried (am trying) Lynda.com through another conduit than DMS.
But I never friggin’ learn. Coming to a class means I MIGHT pay attention. It’s something I’m struggling to change, but so far, not so good.

So I guess this means I’m VERY interested…
Please schedule for any day that is not Tuesday or Thursday after 6PM unless Saturday or Sunday :smiley:

I’m like you, I learn best in a class - but Lynda.com does have tutorials and it’s available as part of my DMS membership - so hopefully I’ll be better prepared for when someone teaches me.

1 Like

Is the Lynda.com 2 weeks free an automatic thing or do you need some kind of code? I’m a hands-on learner so somebody showing me how they do what they already know how to do as a presented class is no where near as useful to me as an interactive class where I do it myself along with an instructor. I’ve pretty much crapped out of learning Adobe and I tried to self teach Inkscape & GIMP, too with no luck. Back to tracing my patterns by hand again for now since the laser can’t just read my mind…silly thing! If it’s an interactive class where we follow along on our laptops, maybe I could learn to wrangle that bleeping bezier took!!

1 Like

Thank you for the interest and the encouragement.

Is 7 PM on Wed Nov 4 or Wed Nov 18 better for everybody? If there enough demand, I can repeat in December and maybe once every couple of months thereafter.

My intent is for a short presentation at the beginning, then a follow-along demo of Inkscape, then GIMP. Definitely bring your computer and please download and install before the class.

For those who were not at the member meeting on Thursday, Alex said that changes in the terms by Lynda/LinkedIn may make it impossible to pass access around like we have been doing. They will honor the original terms for the duration of our current subscription. If the new terms turn out as bad as they appear, we will probably not renew. So get your Lynda time in by June.

Information about how to request your two-week ticket can be found here: Lynda.com Access

It is also posted on the wall by the drinking fountain near the front door.

1 Like

The class is on the schedule: Wednesday November 4 from 7 PM to 9 in the Lecture Hall.

2 Likes

Thank you, Bill!
Planning to be there, if nothing jumps in the way…

Just a quick reminder that the class is this coming Wednesday at 7 PM.

If at all possible, bring your computer so that you can follow along during the hands-on demo part of the class. Please download and install Inkscape and GIMP before the class. DMS has a few laptops you can use and they have Inkscape installed, but no GIMP.

Inkscape may be found at https://inkscape.org/en/download/

and GIMP at http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

I have used both Inkscape & Gimp. I have found them both very useful. Certainly better than paint.

Great class Bill!!
Thank you so much!
It was a great speed, covered the right material for us novices, and the interactive/practice portion was just what the doctor ordered.
I learned several skills that I hope I can put to use in the very near future.
Great job!

1 Like

Thank you and I am glad you got something out of it.

This experiment was a success - a short lecture of background material before a follow-along, hands-on demo for someone who have never used the software before.

2 Likes

It has been a few months. Time to have this class again?

1 Like

Yes, I think this is a class that will always be in need

2 Likes