How can we put a changeable/working excel file on talk?

I would like to have different “checklists” if you will posted of things ordered and being delivered to dms that I can change/people can check as “received”. Plus other things for various needs around the space. I’ve been posting google docs but not everyone likes that (and it’s a link) and just screenshots of my own files - neither are ideal.

Anyone know?
Am I being clear or fuzzy on what I’m wanting?

I recommend using Google Sheets, you can link to it on Talk, approve changes and everyone can edit it at the same time.

1 Like

Ya but any other way someone won’t need to hit the link to see the information?

A Link to a Google Sheet (via Google Docs) would probably serve your needs. You can either make it available to anyone with the link, or invite individual Google Accounts to edit.

Note that access is tied to a Google Account, which might be different from a given user’s DMS email account.

I think she’s specifically wanting to embed an editable table/spreadsheet.

2 Likes

Maybe this will work?

Tried to embed a google sheet, doesnt seem to work:(

I doubt embedded, group-editable spreadsheets will be coming to Talk anytime soon.

Google Sheets or a page on the Wiki are a click away. The former is more novice-friendly and more options re: edit access, while the latter includes an audit trail of changes made and better rollback capabilities.

3 Likes

Ya, you are right about that.

I try to avoid Google Docs, etc… so much spam, phishing, and other garbage gets shared there by bad people. :frowning:

Wiki post here in TALK kinda sorta might do something like what you need…

Also, there is a plugin for that, of our admins want try it…
https://meta.discourse.org/t/embed-google-spreadsheet-plugin/21673/11

If I read that right, PUBLISHING a Google sheet will allow it to be embedded via the built in “onebox gem”, effectively. Of course, that info is now out of date, so who knows…

Google Docs may be blocked within some corporate environments (it is mine) limiting access to these documents.

1 Like

Yeah… That “onebox” thing works like poop, as far as I can tell.
The plugin looks much cooler, and much more like what is desired, but probably has drawbacks I’m unable to discern presently (other than the whole “anyone with the link may edit” thing, which seems easily surmountable by posting into the carefully constructed “members only” sections of TALK…)

Oh, this is a WIKI post, so feel free to add to all the ways this sucks:

1. To edit or dispaly from onebox, one must open a new window, or otherwise follow some link.
  2. publishing does NOT make the thing editable, whether you have link or not

Hey Ken @Lampy
How did you do this? Adafruit Group Order #7 - Part II is Here!

I know that’s not editable, but is that any closer to what’s desired? In terms of “inline display”?
I seem to recall there’s reasons NOT to do that, but they slip my mind presently…

1 Like

It is an embedded Google Doc (Sheet). And it is actually editable if you set the permissions. I had added each person as read/write so they could update their order as we went along until the final deadline.

1 Like

So do I lack the skill/knowledge (highly likely!) or has that now been disabled in Discourse?
Including the iframe tagged “publish embedded” doesn’t appear to work in a new post…

As the list was finalized I marked the list as read only. It may have been a “feature” no longer supported in discourse?

Can I has a sweet potato?

1 Like

Um, yeah, man, that’s broken, too!
Here’s as best I’ve got!

:laughing:

1 Like

Maybe it was FUBAR’d by “improvements”?

I’m blaming the technology for not being able to do that any more, and moving along now…

Damn, it was a cool integration.

1 Like