[Discussion] Vintage Computer Discussion

Dwight, I’ve started selecting posts to move out to the new thread a few times; and, there is some overlap when taking your suggestions… I’ll come out to the 'Space tonight and work with you on how best to manage (split up) the posts into applicable Vintage Computers Committee (VCC) thread(s) and Interactive Computer Museum (ICM) thread(s).

1 Like

Sounds good. I’ll be here around the classrooms or in commons working on a few things.

1 Like

I found a couple of interesting things on the Freebie Shelf recently.

A paper tape reader. Unfortunately, I do not have any paper tape to try to read.

Volume One of the Dr Dobbs Journal reprints. I think I may already have a copy of that one - if so, VCC can have this one.

1 Like

Thanks Bill. I’ll be able to swing by the space on Tuesday if you want to sync up on this unless one of the other members of VCC would like to take care of this one before then?

No hurry, I have both items in my possession.

1 Like

Hey Dwight…

I was looking at the proposed Vintage Computer Committee wiki page, and noticed that you have a meeting tentatively set for November 30th (it’s not on the calendar yet, though…).

With the board meeting to appoint Committee Chairpersons coming up this month, it might be a good idea to hold a meeting prior to the board meeting so we can ‘vote’ on a Chair and offer an official recommendation during the October board meeting ( https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20161021 ). It can be a fairly brief meeting - just to vote in a chairperson, since it looks like you plan on having a full fledged meeting in November.

It would also be a good idea to put an agenda item on the upcoming board meeting to request the proposed Vintage Computer Committee become an active one, as Brandon suggested - since we do have enough members to get things rolling.

I’m going through the posts and calendar right now to see what dates/times the rest of the meetings are - so I can post the info in the thread about voting for committee chairs prior to October 21st ( https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/committees-need-to-have-meetings-before-october-21st/12945 ). There are already a handful of overlapping meetings, which is a shame. Hopefully we (VCC) can have a meeting at a time that’s not going to overlap any other committee meetings. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@LisaSelk

As long as we don’t all have to meet in the committee space… haha

I think we need enough room for a working computer and shelves above and behind that … so a least a workspace and chair …

2 Likes

@mrcity was kind enough to post to about the meeting in the new Vintage Computer topic.

We are meeting at the National Videogame Museum this Saturday, 3:00 pm-6:00 pm. We all need to buy tickets for the museum, but then can enjoy the museum all day, as well as attend the meetup.

Please come and visit. If you have a vintage computer system you would like to bring for show and tell, by all means please do. If so, bring a power strip, just in case. Tables will be provided. Also, if you plan to come, please either post in the thread started by @mrcity, so I can have some idea how much pizza to order. If you are planning to bring a computer, give us a hint as well.

It’s great to see interest in vintage computers at the makerspace.

2 Likes

This Atariage group the focal point for all 99/4A activities. Amazingly, still lots of new development taking place, both hardware and software.

2 Likes

Thanks @dave. I’ll be bringing both my sinclair zx81 (timex model) and the raspberry pi “version”.

We’ll soon have a PDP-11 up in the datacenter followed by a MicroVAX, and a Plan9 386 node to show off.

1 Like

The Meeting Agenda is up on the wiki for October with the meeting scheduled on 10/14 at 6:30pm in the Purple Classroom. (should be live in the calendar soon). Please speak up if this will not work for any of the members then we’ll reconvene no later than the following Tuesday evening.

1 Like

Sweet. Any chance you might come to the upcoming meetup and bring it with you? If not, next meetup will be back in the DMS interactive classroom, Probably in January or February.

1 Like

Nice! See you there!

2 Likes

Probably not, but I am willing to loan the machine to another member to bring it to that meeting. I will be at the space tomorrow night and can bring it then. Let me know.

I’ll be able to swing by after work to pick it up and I’ll bring it back doing my next JS class or on the Vintage Computer Committee meeting, which ever works for you.

Sounds good to me. 123456789

1 Like

@wandrson, sorry you can’t make it, but thanks to you and @denzuko for showing it on Saturday.

By any chance you have the link to that desk?

Make sure you are sitting before clicking the link! :scream:

I posted it more as an example of something we could aim for - not for that specific item (you’ll see why when you click it… :wink: )

yeah… that kills our bi-quarterly budget