Designing For Laser Cutting Class

I am always interested in design classes, and your estimated fee seems very reasonable.

I am nterested in it as well

Before I say this, I know this will probably turn into a huge debate, and I don’t mean to poke that bear, but I’m trying to be honest.
I’m very interested, but the fee seems steep to me. Why are we charging the $50, and where is it going?
I’m not asking for a justification, I’m asking flat out, why and who/what is reaping that benefit. If it’s because this kind of class doesn’t come cheap, I can accept that, and pony up if I feel it’s worth the $50 to me. If it’s because we need to support the care and feeding of the lasers; if it’s because Luke Olson wants to have pizza for the participants in the class; maybe it’s fund raising for the committee, or going to pay the instructor… Whatever the reason.
For example, when you chuck in for the HAAS training and you get to leave with a domino at no extra cost to you and the auspices is that it pays for upkeep/upgrades on the machine shop equipment, including the HAAS. For Vcarve training the auspices is the $$ goes toward growing and maintaining the router bits/tools.

Again, not trying to start any kind of justification wars, I just don’t like seeing an arbitrary dollar amount assigned to a class where there are nominally no consumables and I don’t get so much as a bauble to call my own at the end. If you’re putting butts in seats at $50 a pop and it’s selling out, then the reason may be as simple as “because we can”…

1 Like

I just entered a general laser cutter training class on 8/29 8-9pm.

It’s not for designing but just how to use the software interface, don’t break it, etc.

I usually say $50/person is reasonable for classes with expensive supplies or if it spans several sessions (like my Build a 3D printer class), I’d say maybe $10-25/person is more reasonable if it’s for a cause like pizza or laser maintenance). Most of the time the cost of the class ends up purposely limits class size (not always the case) so the class is easier to handle.

1 Like

The design aspects and use of the various design software programs are all VERY new to me. I can sit in a classroom and watch someone rip through a program they know well and walk out feeling like I know something, but as soon as I try to do it on my own I’m utterly lost. That happened with the 3d printer class for me as well as well…nothing against the folks who taught those classes. But for me, a class with no hands-on interaction with the program or equipment just leaves me feeling like, yep, I’ll be taking that one again…and probably again before I can tackle a project on my own without breaking something or wasting materials. BUT those classes are FREE. So $50 with no hands-on component is a risk I might not take. Not everyone needs that kind of interaction, but I would hope in a paid class there would be some hands-on with the equipment/program.

I don’t have a problem paying for classes because materials can be expensive. But yeah, I’d like to know, too, what the expense would be for a classroom demo class if that’s what this would be. If the students are actually using the software themselves in class and there’s some licensing/subscription fee structure, I get that and would actilually rush to sign up because the laser cutter is the primary reason I initially joined DMS. However, I have never used it because the design software is still alien to me and I’ve taken the laser cutter class twice now.

I agree that knowing what the money goes to would make me more comfortable spending the money
But I would be interested in the class… timing makes all the difference as to if I can make a class or not, as like many people my schedule is very full…

I’m interested in the class, but, for now, it is a luxury item for me and I probably would pass. I also don’t care what the reason is for the price, and I don’t see what difference it should make to anyone else.

1 Like

Here’s my two cents, there needs to be classes held to make use of the machine more efficient and to keep people from breaking it. Opcode was nice enough to give a crash course last week to a few of us, but it was a high level crash course on how not to break it.

Ironically I travelled 45 mins to use the machine today and now its broken. I also notice folks spend more time tweaking and designing in the space vs. using the space. If the classes were more defined in regards to the art of the space, then maybe it wouldn’t come up broken so often and more people could use it quicker instead of waiting on someone else to figure it out.

The Lasersauer from what i’ve seen sits cause nobody knows how to use it, when is the next class for that? So i would think the focus would need to be more on using the machines efficiently, its gonna be hard to get $50.00 from folks for a machine, thats either broken or being hogged by inefficient users a majority of the time.

I mean a materials board with working default settings would help too, or step board on the wall.

Just some ideas…

1 Like

Next class I created on 8/29 from 8-9pm I will teach the Lasersaur.

I think when it comes to designing for specific tools, it should be “How to design for specific applications”. Inkscape and illustrator I know fairly well but there are better qualified people than myself to teach it. The only laser specific thing about vector design tools is folding and unfolding 3D objects like using the box maker in inkscape to create tabbed boxes.

I think general CAD classes should be more encouraged. I think $50 would be more reasonable to learn a CAD program (multi-session classes) that we could then use any CNC tool at the space using the CAD models. Frank did a great class on inventor, I’ve seen some sketchup classes and other design classes, but they’re not held very often because they are usually really involved programs.

TL:DR We do need more general CAD/design classes and separate tool classes.

Yes that would be a great improvement to have recommended power/speed settings for materials, we had a list on paper a long time ago but since dissapeared.

2 Likes

I agree on the CAD, VCARVE, Illustrator classes. I’ve heard a few folks asking about design software classes. I know i would attend those as well. I feel members want to utilize the space, but the classes are taught with the assumption that the software will be self taught. So folks then use the tooling with a i really dont know what im doing, attempt and then here come the signs.

I dont mind taking on the task of creating a materials living sign…maybe something behind acrylic that cant be removed or cant be destroyed or stolen. I’m doing something similar for the CNC instructions.

Clear instruction and tips I think will help cut down on the destruction and misuse of the more popular tools in the space.

I know I spent a few hours on youtube and got a few good tips about AI design and proper use of the laser.

I would be willing to pay. I don’t think $50 is unreasonable at all as I have (and always will be) limited by my understanding and usage of software. I always feel limited with how to use different software, things always seem to be wrong with things I try to make and I just end up flipping tables all night. I would like to end that cycle of table abuse.

I’m using lots of I’s. Ego-centric Nicole.

2 Likes

We do have a Lynda.com account that people can sign up to use. For 2 weeks you get access to everything they offer. They offer training on the autodesk software and adobe software along with many others. That software is on the Remote Server and is available to all members. Adobe will be on that server in the near future.

Lynda.com Access

2 Likes

I for one am in and based on the number of people attending the 3D discussion and Bill Gee’s upcoming 2D class I’m sure this would be well attended and appreciated. (Finally got AutoCAD to download properly and watching the Lynda videos right now).

1 Like

it has taken me a good long while to learn about how to use Paths for vectoring, and I still have a ways to go. But I have learned enough to see how powerful it is for designing, and would like to learn more.

A class with labs would be great.
A class with a manual and references would be great.
The classes do have a great, longer term value worth a small investment.
-john a. gorman

Why is everyone questioning the cost of the class? This isn’t the laser saftey class, its how to use a design program effectively for our machines to get better results. If any member wanted to teach a class on it they could charge whatever they felt like their time was worth.

It would be like me teaching a sketchup class specific for 3d printing and charging for it.

4 Likes

I withdrew my offer to hold a free class because i came to senses:

1. It will take upwards of 40 hours to create meaningful materials and lesson plan
  2. It takes me 30 minutes each way to drive to dms
  3. It will consume 3 to 4 hours out of my evening for each class.

So yes, Pearce is right on.

People shouldnt expect everything for free. Unless you are a teenager lol

6 Likes

I have no problem paying for the class to help cover instructor time, materials, and gas. The $50 monthly membership fee is extremely reasonable. Having to pay a little extra for some of the more advanced classes seems very reasonable.

5 Likes

Count me as another one interested! And agree whatever fee seems reasonable for whoever’s willing to dedicate their time to teach :smile:

Yes. I would take this class. I have lots of ideas and my lack of understanding of the computer bits makes me want to flip tables…and/or learn.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be interested.