Dead Cars in the Parking Lot and More

If only we had the capability to make signs at the Space. Maybe someone should have a class.

5 Likes

It is kinda fun to do a search for the word “tow” on talk.

3 Likes

Signs are generally required for areas that are developed (so they can go find their car and pay the impound fee).

I thought there was one by the lot entrance for the property as a whole. Usually such towing services are retained by the landlord and the leases have access to the retainer. I don’t look for these signs explicitly so I could be wrong about its presence. However, members are required to abide by the rules so unless it was a guest, they can’t claim the didn’t know anyway.

EDIT: There is at least one tow sign on the property. Streetview won’t let me get clean views of the rest of the property.

EDIT 2: here’s the other visible on streetview, again still can’t get a clear view of a sign on some other entrances.

-jim

1 Like

None of this is relevant, anyway. That’s all landlord business.

The question was whether we post anything IN the building informing DMS folks their cars might be towed. This, to me, is redundant to the landlord’s posted signs stating that overnight parking is not allowed. Then there’s the nuisance parking of DMS folks, such as blocking access to load or empty dumpsters, blocking dock bays (DMS’ and others), parking in front of other businesses during business hours (or leaving your broken hoopty in front of a business during business hours), etc. Things which seem like “common sense” when it comes to good neighboring but aren’t necessarily “legal matters”…

Again, all superflous to the current topic of “we may need to assist our landlord in enforcing their towing policy, so if you don’t want to get caught up in that, make sure your vehicle is not in the lot more than 24 hours”.

2 Likes

I know a guy that firesaled his car to comply with that mandate…

8 Likes

If it’s manual I’m willing to offer some money on this one, get it out of the owner’s hair, just saying

1 Like

If people are leaving inoperable cars parked at DMS for long periods of time, why doesn’t this apply? I can’t even park a work in process car in my driveway behind my house for an extended period of time without risking a notice, I don’t know why people think they can park dead cars at DMS forever. It shouldn’t take a sign for people to figure out that inoperable cars parked at DMS could be towed.

Junked & Inoperable Vehicles

Title 9, Section 90.19 (Code of Ordinances)

Junked & Inoperable VehiclesAn inoperable vehicle, inoperable motor vehicle or junked vehicle that is visible from a public place or public right-of-way and /or is considered detrimental to the safety and welfare of the general public tends to reduce the value of private property, invites vandalism, creates a fire hazard, is an attractive nuisance creating a hazard to the health and safety of minors, produces urban blight adverse to the maintenance and continuing development of the City, and is declared to be a public nuisance.

It shall be unlawful for any person, owner, agent, occupant or anyone having supervision or control of any real property within the City to maintain a public nuisance as determined under this section.

It shall be unlawful for any person, owner, agent, occupant or anyone having supervisions or control of any real property within the City to have more than two inoperable vehicles, inoperable motor vehicles or junked vehicles upon their property.

Any inoperable vehicle, inoperable motor vehicle, or junked vehicle shall be screened from any public place or public right-of-way by means of a solid opaque fence or shall be enclosed within a building. In no case shall any cover placed over a vehicle constitute adequate screening.

An inoperable vehicle, inoperable motor vehicle, or junked vehicle or vehicle part may be disposed of by removal to a scrap yard, demolisher or any suitable site.

It shall be be construed that a vehicle that is not demonstrated to be operable upon request of the Designated City Official is an inoperable vehicle.

An inoperable motor vehicle that remains inoperable for more than 30 consecutive days becomes a junked vehicle.

Title 9, Section 90.20 (Code of Ordinances)

On Private Property. Upon complaint or upon his own initiative, the Designated City Official (DCO) may initiate appropriate official action to remove and abate a public nuisance in the nature of a junked vehicle. Whenever a public nuisance exists on private property, the DCO shall notify the last known registered owner of the junked vehicle, any lienholder of record, and the owner or occupant of the private premises on which the public nuisance exists, that the nuisance exists, that it must be removed and abated within ten (10) days of the receipt of the notice. The notice hereinabove described shall be sent by certified mail with a five day return receipt requested. If the notice is returned undelivered by the post office, further official action to abate the violation shall be continued to a date of not less than ten days after the date of return.

On Public Property. Whenever a public nuisance in the nature of a junked vehicle exists on public property, the DCO shall notify the last known registered owner of the junked motor vehicle, any lienholder of record and the owner or occupant of the public premises or the owner or occupant of the premises adjacent to the public right-of-way on which the public nuisance exists, that the nuisance exists, that it must be removed and abated within ten days of the receipt of such notice, or that a request for a hearing must be made by said owner or occupant before the expiration of the ten day period from the receipt of the notice. The notice hereinabove described shall be sent by certified mail with a five day return receipt requested. If the notice is returned undelivered by the post office, further official action to abate the nuisance shall be continued to a date not less than ten days after the date of the return.

Definitions

Junked Vehicle: A vehicle that is self-propelled and:;

(A) Does not have lawfully attached to it:

an unexpired license plat; or,
a valid motor vehicle inspection certificate; and,
(B) is:

wrecked, dismantled or partially dismantled, or discarded; or
inoperable and has remained inoperable for more than 72 consecutive hours, if the vehicle is on public property; or 30 consecutive days, if the vehicle is on private property
Inoperable Motor Vehicle: Is a motor vehicle that does not have lawfully affixed either an unexpired license plate or a valid motor vehicle safety inspection certificate, or a vehicle that is not in operating condition because it is wrecked, dismantled, partially dismantled, dilapidated or has one or more flat tires.

Inoperable Vehicle: A vehicle without a motor, including but not limited to trailers, campers, camper shells, and wheeled towing frames, that is not in operating condition because it is wrecked, dismantled, partially dismantled, dilapidated or has one or more flat tires.

http://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-a-f/community-development/neighborhood-integrity/common-violations#Junked_&_Inoperable_Vehicles

3 Likes

The reason it doesn’t apply is right there in the first sentence. must be visible from a public place.

1 Like

It looks like they could still be towed to me but I’m not great at finding loopholes to try to get away with parking my junk cars in other people’s parking lots.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dallas+Makerspace/@32.9409128,-96.9059114,92m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x864c1fd805ad40af:0x6f562f9ff01bbebb!8m2!3d32.9407365!4d-96.9059907

That image is available from the Carrollton Public Library (as well as everywhere else on this planet with access to Google). Problem solved.

2 Likes

Good luck convincing a judge that that’s what the ordinance means… but in literal terms, you’re right.

1 Like

Could someone please reply with what the other car is? I see that the 1993 Honda Accord Wagon is one, which one is the other? I’ll swing by and get the vin and plate for id.

Thanks

Freddy

3 Likes

The rules are posted around, I’ve seen them on the back door and on the fridge.

3 Likes

This is called “precedent.”

i.e., so-and-so left their leaking car in the parking lot for two weeks, and you towed mine after a day? Rabble, rabble, lawsuit, small claims court.

Just tow them.

2 Likes

Best way to test would be for a member to just drop a dime to the city and see what happens next.

Please don’t call the city on your fellow members vehicles. Please do not involve the city in our parking issues.

2 Likes

The parking area is a public place. “private property” does not mean a space is not public.

2 Likes

Lincoln Property Management owns the land. They own the buildings and the parking spaces. It is NOT public parking, it’s for patrons of the establishments ONLY. ONLY Lincoln Property Management can enforce parking rules by towing vehicles. Parking on the street is parking in a public place.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was public parking, I said it was a public area. The parking areas are public places, because that is how you access the businesses who front the parking area (rather than the street).

Any vehicle in the parking lot is visible from a public area.

ETA: I’m willing to research this as well - if someone can PM me a license plate and/or VIN I also can look the cars up. We have a publicdata membership at work, and some property insurance databases as well.

1 Like

Vehicles parked visible from the street are applicable to this ordinance, however vehicles parked in the back are not. The parking lot is not a “public area”, and the back of the lot cannot be seen from the public street.

1 Like