Create a Song registration now open!

Hey guys, if anyone is interested in making music here at DMS, I’m teaching a class on it on the 26th!

I’m at DMS all the time, so if you have any questions feel free to find me and ask. :slight_smile:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/3415

1 Like

A bump to the top and a question…

Is there a reason for the $5 fee? My understanding is that you are completely in the clear to ask for it, but explaining why is likely to garner more students.

PS. Jennifer is very nice. Reminiscent of Moon Safari by Air.

1 Like

Thanks Adam! Stan told me people usually make classes $5 to ensure everyone that registers is actually going to show up.

Glad you like Jennifer! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what we needed to do with the Woodshop class, as we were having a lot of no-shows for a class that is the highest demand class and only allows 6 people to attend at a time. The $5 has dropped the no-show rate to effectively zero.

For a class that is not in high demand or doesn’t have supplies, it might be harder to get people to come.

3 Likes

$5 price as Adam said virtually eliminated people signing up for three or four classes and then deciding which they would attend later, blocking other people from signing up and then classes being nearly empty. If it cost you $5 to “option” each class, most people will decide to pick the class they want to attend.

Some of the Machine Shop classes have a $5 fee, that’s because we provide material. The cost varies between $3.50 and $4.25 - just rounded up. You couldn’t go buy a single piece for that price. Other committees similarly charge minimal fees for materials.

I’ve seen a few with high prices - people avoid them.

1 Like

But that is not the whole story. Charging $5 means people are going to think about how much they really need the class before they register. Many classes do not pass that test.

2 Likes

That is not what I am hearing about how many people have been able to “fly standby.”

1 Like

I would be interested in learning to make some music … I would really like be able to make something like this …

Do we know if the new Digital Media will be sound proofed enough to make something like this without disturbing anyone?

1. I doubt it would disturb no one. The amount of sound proofing required to keep a set of drums ‘quiet’ at full thrash is, well, a lot. That said, IMHO - as long as you’re willing to deal with the outside noises coming IN to the rooms, this isn’t any different than running the multicam or some other loud tool.

2. Are you asking about the multitrack recording part of the making (tech dude who pushes buttons), or the writing and creative process (musicians & composers)?

1 Like

With the expansion next door is there a chance there will be a soundproof room for Digital Media?

Digital Media has zero soundproofing at the moment. It was mentioned as something that would be nice to see in the expansion, but actual soundproofing is very expensive and may not be feasible with our budget.

2 Likes

The concept is that you have to build a room-in-a-room, and then even after that, you might have to do something like the below kit to really do a quality recording.

https://www.markertek.com/product/cls-megapac-d/clearsonic-megapac-7x8x7-sound-isolation-booth-dark-gray?utm_medium

2 Likes

You’re right that the budget is very tight.

I know you have only been with DM for a short while. I observe from the calendar that there have been a couple various film crews that have used our facilities an extensive amount of time, including tying up the DM studio for entire weekend days. Repeatedly.

If anyone here has participated with those groups it would be nice to reach out to them and ask them for a good faith donation to help us with our expansion costs.

1 Like

Ideally, Digital Media will have two rooms. One that is sound proofed and the other that has the computers and mixers, etc … With a window between the two … This way the people playing the music, acting, etc are isolated. This might be done by building a separate room inside DM. Perhaps, we can get donations for it.

One of the biggest costs will be bringing sprinkler(s) inside of it. Be sure to add that into planning and cost.

1 Like

I have an edrum kit that i was hoping to bring by sometime and try to use again.

I guess i need to figure out where the digital media room actually is then~

1 Like

It is the room on the right off of the common room …

1 Like

It is my understanding that Digital Media may be moved into a bigger space with higher ceilings. At least that is one of the ideas.

2 Likes