Computer Aided Design (CAD) classes

I want to gauge the interest in an introductory class on CAD design using Autodesk Inventor 2014/2016.

There are plenty of courses on how to physically create things using 3D printers and CNC milling machines but not much in the way of how to actually take the first step in those processes. That step being to get the idea from your head into virtual space.

Going to online libraries to get parts is great but what if you want to modify what you found to suite your specific needs? What if you can’t find what you want at all?

I have scheduled two classes for a very basic introduction to CAD design (should go live in a day or so) where we will model a small part and while doing so touch on a number of features Inventor has to create part models. This round of classes are for absolute beginners but if the interest is there I would be willing to offer a more advanced class.

7 Likes

Speaking for myself, I think this is sorely lacking at DMS, in part because some folks “just get it” and have trouble teaching someone like me, for whom this does not “come naturally”.
Additionally, I think some of us are total morons (in addition to being beginners and not “naturals”) when it comes to this, so i hope you’re patient. I hope to attend. I hope it goes swimmingly.

3 Likes

When I came up with the idea for this beginner course, I was worried it was too basic and that people would quickly work ahead. I think if you have a basic understanding of shapes and how to measure things this class won’t be too much.

1 Like

I can make a wicked CUBE in SketchUp!!!

… that’s about it… :wink:

1 Like

Well you’ve already mastered the first step of my class!! (Don’t spoil it for the rest)

2 Likes

What is the name of the class and what days?

YES! YES! YES!
Sorely needed at the makerspace. I took Andy Allman’s class on the free Onshape.com CAD software and loved every minute of it.

The classes are scheduled as follows:
Thursday 3/16 7:30-9:30
Monday 3/20 7:00-9:00

The Thursday class is by approval only but I’ll approve anyone as long as they’re are spots. This was supposed to be a test class but it fell through so I opened it up.

I added these events yesterday so the won’t show up until Friday Or Saturday

3 Likes

Are you planning to build on the knowledge learned from the first to the second class, or just go over the same content in both classes?

1 Like

Im still formulating a plan for that. There is a good bit of material to cover in what I would consider the beginner level so I may have a beginner 1 and 2 then maybe use the files created in those classes to start teaching more intermediate topics like assemblies and parametric modeling.

Both classes I’ve scheduled are covering the same material though.

2 Likes

Will one need their own laptop? I don t have on and with my vision issue I may need to
find a special one, I REALLY need this, My vision problems interfere with things like
following a line to cut something out, It looks like I am going to need to allow machines to
help me ( I am so tired of curved designs with a flat spot in it!

1 Like

You will need a laptop with Inventor 2014 or later installed. Whether it is yours, DMS’s, whomevers, it just needs to have the software installed and capable of running it. Autodesk.com will allow you to install a student version of Inventor af no cost.

I don’t know how many simultaneous users the Jump Server will support (@bscharff) but people could use the jumpserver through local access and a DMS laptop.

if you are unable to take the classes and still want to learn Inventor, let me also suggest that
Parametric Modeling with Autodesk Inventor 2017
**Author: Shih **
ISBN: 9781630570309
is an excellent text book. It is how I learned. There are of course tons of YouTube videos as well
although nothing beats having a live person to ask questions to.
Cheers!

Maybe I’m missing something, but why Inventor instead of Fusion360 ?

1 Like

I was wondering as well. Why not Fusion 360? That seems to be where the momentum is.

The short answer is “I used Inventor 2014 everyday and that’s what I’m comfortable with”. The skills are easily translatable into fusion. I may be able to do the same lesson in fusion but the .ipt saved in Inventor will work just the same in fusion.

3 Likes

@Adam_Oas @tmc4242 come to one of the Inventor classes to get the basics and in the mean time I’ll start tinkering with fusion and if it’s something I can get a grasp on (which I think I will be able to) I’ll offer the continuation of my Inventor basics in Fusion.

4 Likes

For my needs at least, I think that would be counter-productive. Learn one sorta similar CAD package, then turn around and do it again. That’s what we were talking about avoiding after class.

Now if the interface is near identical, that might be different, but if they are not very very close, then I think it’ll do more harm than good. ( again - for me at least. YMMV ).

The usual concept is train as you plan to operate.

At present, I don’t know Inventor or Fusion360, and I have a need to learn Fusion360 sooner rather than later. Perhaps this is not the class I’m looking for. ( move along… )

At the level I will be teaching there should be no fundamental difference between fusion and Inventor.

Furthermore if you understand the concepts of CAD design using Inventor, you will be able to use the same concepts in any CAD package. The class is 'Introduction to CAD design" not 'Introduction to Inventor 2014"

4 Likes