Committee Wants vs Needs In Expansion

You guys don’t have to carry the buckets of water & others. Dolly’s work well for this. A sink with a associated sump pump can be added at a later date.

2 Likes

I’m hesitant to step into this, and if this should go in a different thread let me know, but I feel like I need to advocate for AR SIG/electronics. We need the conduit drop in the current plans in order to Amateur Radio radio to have a future at the space. One of the biggest problems we face is that we only have a single antenna line. We need the flexibility to use different parts of the bands and options incase something goes wrong between workdays; different licences have different privileges so what’s useful for a general or extra class license won’t help technician class licenses get on the air and motivated to upgrade. Amatuer radio’s interest crosses with a number of other committees besides electronics. I’ve found 3d fab, laser, and woodshop especially useful and and am getting checked out in machine and metal shop in order to advance my radio projects. Amatuer radio is one of the oldest and strongest precurseurs to the hacker/maker movement and it would be a shame to let it die out at DMS. We don’t need much space; the little corner of the Elab we have planned will be perfect, but in planning on moving forward on wants vs needs AR SIG needs its conduit.

3 Likes

At this stage of the “New Games”, I don’t plan on “giving up” anything in the current approved plans for the future ELab.

2 Likes

I could have sworn that the original sink thing was that we were just going to put a clay trap under the big sink that’s already there, and everybody that wanted a janitor-type was going to use that one. From my viewpoint, that’s fine. I, personally, am a water-minimalist when throwing. A small bucket of water works fine for me.

Actually, it’s the “new green game.”
:stuck_out_tongue:

I am pretty sure the plan had been to install one. How expensive is it?

Did Ceramics pay for the one in the janitor closet and can it be transplanted?

Edit: Linking this for reference should the clay trap be transplanted.

I should take that back. If we had the sink by the north wall, it would have one and is not needed on both except as insurance in case someone used the “wrong” one…

I always thought that Electronics was rather restrained in its request, trying to meet current needs instead of dreaming about five years from now.

Does anyone realize the problems of dust when cutting through cement?
Lots of toxic dust and until it is fully cleaned up at least that side of the workshop
will be unusable

I would expect that if is not put in during build out, it will have to wait until the next major remodel
most likely then never

The sump pump idea might work

Can the walls around either Blacksmithing or woodshop be eliminated?

Not a committee thing but I know a lot of work was going to have to me done in 104 with the water fountain removal for ADA compliance Do we have to have a water fountain there? Could it just be removed?
Could we use a bottled water dispenser in the lobby to replace it?

Ceramics did pay for the one in the janitor’s closet. I believe the plan was to leave that one there. If I remember correctly, it was about $140 -$150 or so.

1 Like

This is exactly how we handled a commercial renovation in Richardson. It is kind of ironic that a law intended to promote more access actually eliminated access for everyone.

3 Likes

I have a totally blind friend so I can see the reason for removing it

And I have an idea that folks in the that area might prefer the coffee maker to to the water fountain

I also recall that we changed every light switch in the facility to a motion sensing variety; even in individual offices. I can only assume this is why we were not required to physically lower the switches. Plus the new switch probably pays for itself. I know in past threads some have warned that these switches are annoying, but the one in my office has never shutoff while I was in there probably because of the timer duration.

2 Likes

It’s actually not bad at all. Wet cutting reduces the dust to slurry.

6 Likes

I like the constructive ideas coming out of this thread. Keep them coming. The Expansion Group is listening.

7 Likes

That is good to know, I have heard some horror stories about repairs to slabs and lost
furniture

Motion sensor lights switches are VERY annoying.

And under no circumstances should they be installed in bathrooms.

5 Likes

They had those in the Ceramics lab at Ceder Valley CC Folks would be throwing or
working on hand building and the lights would go out

Yeah – if you’re in a spot where it can’t tell you’re moving…

One job had those. I’d be working late in the cube farm, and the lights would go out because I hadn’t stood up recently.

2 Likes

The lights where I work are on at least a 2 hr timeout. I’ve never experienced any of the behaviors you are describing. I suppose a cube farm could be problematic after hours, but it just sounds like your employers made some bad deployment / vendor choices. That doesn’t mean we will have the same experience with a modern installation. It can be done right.

2 Likes