Aquaponics Working Group

I am definitely attending any of these classes that I can. Since I saw the video below, I have had day dreams of building something similar to this:

Short version

Comprehensive version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zP4WPgcqY

Yes, it is amazing. … And tilapias are awesome!

…X…

I found out this week that my old college has an aquaponics set-up. If I plan a field trip how many of y’all would be interested? (I need an idea of how many people are gonna show up).

At traders village, buying plants N stuff…

1 Like

Great ideas so far. However the intent of this post was to start organizing a working group. When is a good time for everyone to meet to discuss these awesome ideas further and start working on projects?

In a couple of hours? Heather and I bought rosemary, mint, and aloe vera to install in the aquaponics system.

Ya’ll can take over the plot I reserved for a scorpion pepper plant. My two seedlings died.

2 Likes

I think this would be a great SIG under the Auspices of Science Committee. I just threw out the above examples of some projects that Science could sponsor as project classes and get more active participation. I keep telling myself “This next spring I’m going to do these vertical gardens” .… I’m sure there are others that fall into this.

But there is much I need to learn about aqua/hydroponics. My thinking is a knowledge and projects we do would be a great start.

FYI - Different subject for Science. Picked up the Vacuum pump for the N-laserthat I discussed about at last meeting.

Unfortunately, the laser was removed by one of the main N-laser builders. The vacuum pump will definitely find other great uses.

…X…

Thanks for the update - I’ve got some projects at home I’ll use playing with it. ALready in car, its raining and I don’t feel like getting wet bring it back in.

Does that mean, you will not bring it to Science then? :pensive:

…X…

If Science has a need for a project I’ll bring it, but if there isn’t an identified need I’ll keep it at home - but it’ll be back at my home in Arlington and not at sister’s up in OK.

1 Like

If science is interested in Vacuum pumps and related technology, @fredmiller from this discussion;
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/a-treasure-trove-of-maker-goodmess/6288/24 had a number of the pumps along with other related vacuum equipment. Well worth going there and checking it out.

Maybe Science Committee should make a trip to future project supplies.

Interesting post, Photomancer.

I will get with the Science chair, and others actively involved with the committee to explore this idea.

Thank you @wardson for the heads up.

…X…

@oyetkin suggested this cool website that lets people pick what day and time works best to schedule a meet up…
Click here to choose what day and time works best for you.

@renkessa

Scott… I have a friend who may be interested in something like this… I’m just curious - is this something that you are planning on doing every week on a set day of the week, during a set time-frame - sort of like you already do with the Neural Electric Interfacing Working Group? (It seems to me that’s what you are saying; but, by some of the responses, I’m wondering if I may have misread it…).

If so, and if you had a preference, what day and time-frame would you like to try to make this happen? My friend is not a member of the 'Space; and, lives in the Fort Worth area, so I’d sort of like an idea of what y’all decide before I bring it up to her… :wink: :slight_smile:

Thanks!
:smile:

Yes, this will be a weekly event with discussion, collaborative work time and presentations.

1 Like

It looks like Tuesday nights are the most popular so far. I’m going to go ahead an schedule the meeting for Tuesday nights. I can’t make it until at least 8:30. If there is a strong push to start it earlier we can find some way to work with it. So for now, Tuesdays at 8:30.

I’m also going to start building some presentation material for after Thanksgiving. If there is anyone else that wants to build some lecture material and present it, let me know and we can get you on the schedule.

3 Likes

Before trimming:

2 Likes