Aquaponics Working Group

I would like to setup an aquaponics working group to really dive into the scope of projects, activities and classes that can come out of the aquaponics.

I would like this group to meet once a week and I would like to attract engineers, horticulturists, cooks and hobbyists. For those interested, when would you be able to meet?

I’m looking at keeping the automation project going. I have the skeleton of web based control for regulating the lights, pump and taking inputs on the sensors.

I also want to get some gardeners involved in the project. A class on gardening best practices would go a long way, as well as a class on fish care.

Post if you’re interested and when you would like to meet.

3 Likes

I’m interested. I’ll be up at the space late tonight if you’d like to get an early start on this.

I’ve seen various aquaponic and aquaponic type projects, such as vertical gardens that are simple to make, mainly PVC/ABS plastic types. Maybe we could have a class build/session where the theory of A-P is gone over, key compoents etc. then sohow some simple type systems folks can build for use at home.

I like the idea of aquaponics & aeroponics. I wish I had the space to build & put that’s stuff & grow my own herbs & veggies.

Here’s some ideas for patio back yard types we could build in a class:

vertical aquaponic veggie & fish farm for small yards & houses
Vertical Aquaponic Garden
Easy Aquaponics from “mostly” re-purposed materials
This one I like: aquaponics

1 Like

I am definitely attending any of these classes that I can. Since I saw the video below, I have had day dreams of building something similar to this:

Short version

Comprehensive version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zP4WPgcqY

Yes, it is amazing. … And tilapias are awesome!

…X…

I found out this week that my old college has an aquaponics set-up. If I plan a field trip how many of y’all would be interested? (I need an idea of how many people are gonna show up).

At traders village, buying plants N stuff…

1 Like

Great ideas so far. However the intent of this post was to start organizing a working group. When is a good time for everyone to meet to discuss these awesome ideas further and start working on projects?

In a couple of hours? Heather and I bought rosemary, mint, and aloe vera to install in the aquaponics system.

Ya’ll can take over the plot I reserved for a scorpion pepper plant. My two seedlings died.

2 Likes

I think this would be a great SIG under the Auspices of Science Committee. I just threw out the above examples of some projects that Science could sponsor as project classes and get more active participation. I keep telling myself “This next spring I’m going to do these vertical gardens” .… I’m sure there are others that fall into this.

But there is much I need to learn about aqua/hydroponics. My thinking is a knowledge and projects we do would be a great start.

FYI - Different subject for Science. Picked up the Vacuum pump for the N-laserthat I discussed about at last meeting.

Unfortunately, the laser was removed by one of the main N-laser builders. The vacuum pump will definitely find other great uses.

…X…

Thanks for the update - I’ve got some projects at home I’ll use playing with it. ALready in car, its raining and I don’t feel like getting wet bring it back in.

Does that mean, you will not bring it to Science then? :pensive:

…X…

If Science has a need for a project I’ll bring it, but if there isn’t an identified need I’ll keep it at home - but it’ll be back at my home in Arlington and not at sister’s up in OK.

1 Like

If science is interested in Vacuum pumps and related technology, @fredmiller from this discussion;
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/a-treasure-trove-of-maker-goodmess/6288/24 had a number of the pumps along with other related vacuum equipment. Well worth going there and checking it out.

Maybe Science Committee should make a trip to future project supplies.

Interesting post, Photomancer.

I will get with the Science chair, and others actively involved with the committee to explore this idea.

Thank you @wardson for the heads up.

…X…