An interesting piece of information

Continuing the discussion from Is Ignorance the Problem?:

Many years ago, myself and a few colleagues become interested in the basic hygene practices of the various types of engineers we worked with. So we started an informal observational exercise and the creation of a database. The idea was that if you saw someone use the restroom, you would note if they actually washed their hands (rare) and if not, a note of which field of engineering they were in. Over a period of a few years, we developed quite a large database, and it even broadened out into several other engineering companies beyond the one it started at…

I don’t remember the complete set of details, but:…

Less then 10% of engineers actually washed their hands after using the rest room…
Traffic engineers were the most likely to wash their hands
Structural and Electrical engineers were nearly evenly tied for being the least likely to wash their hands…

There were over 15,000 observations before we all lost interest…

Note: US fourth largest company is Apple…

Just as an observation. I’ve seen lots of people use the facilities at DMS and NOT wash their hands.

How does the old joke go?

An Aggie and a Citadel cadet were in the restroom one day. The Aggie notices the Citadel cadet doesn’t wash up. The Aggie says, “Hey, at A&M they teach us to wash our hands after going.” The Citadel cadet says, “At the Citadel they teach us not to urinate on our hands.”

Yet, everywhere you go there is a reminder to “wash your hands” if you are an employee. Of course, it is a good idea for everyone.

2 Likes

4th largest in our industry - sorry if that wasn’t clear.

You have confirmed my suspicions about engineers in a couple of different ways. :smiley:

2 Likes

From George Carlin:

“…TOPS, two, 3 times a week…”

Not words I live by, but funny (and somewhat poignant) nonetheless.

I worked at a medical research lab where we handled blood and blood components, and urine, daily. And various fun isotopes. I would un-glove, wash up before I left the lab, go down the hall to the restroom, wash up AGAIN before touching any vital body parts, then wash up again after finishing up.

And wash up again upon entering the lab, before gloving up.

2 Likes

This could explain why when one person gets sick at DMS (cold/flu) it spreads like wildfire through the place …

5 Likes

A lot of people think washing your hands after peeing is about getting pee off your hands… except it’s just a good opportunity to maintain sanitary hands instead of spreading germs like wildfire.

4 Likes

Well, it WOULD be if I didn’t have to touch the same door handle (as all those folks who do not wash up) to get OUT of the bathroom…

3 Likes

That’s what paper towels are for.

Yeah, I’m one of those guys that opens the bathroom exit with a paper towel.

Because engineers are gross.

7 Likes

As long as you aren’t one of the clods throwing the paper towel on the floor for others to pick up later…

3 Likes

This is why, if you are planning a business bathroom strategy, you need to have a trash bin within easy tossing distance of the door. Many folks are of the opinion that if you toss the towels on the floor often enough, the janitorial staff will tire of it and put a basket there. It does seem to work.
I am of the opinion that restrooms should not have doors, but that’s a whole 'nother can o’worms…

I have seen some public bathroom doors that have a thing you can put your toe under to pull the door open so you don’t have to touch the dirty doorknob.

2 Likes

If I catch someone doing it here, I’ll make 'em eat the paper towel.

2 Likes

Those are an AWESOME idea, but suck in reality.

1 Like

It’d be easier to just have a basket within tossing distance of the door, but this place is all about the making. :slight_smile:

There are trash cans within a short distance of all bathrooms here… one in CA, and one in Purple. People are just too damn lazy and inconsiderate to carry a piece of paper towel 5 feet to dispose of it.

Purple, Breakroom, 3D Fab, Common Area, and Conference Room.

Yes, I mapped them all out in my head so I know where to toss those paper towels I use to open the door handle.

Lowe’s stores have the “toe” pull/plate on their restroom doors near me-not that unusual in recent stores etc…

Much better than a useless air dryer for hands and no toe pull - that’s when a little bottle of combat issue Purell hand sanitizer comes in handy…

2 Likes