Adding a speed control and reverse to a lathe?

I have recently acquired a Grizzly G0462 lathe. It has a minimum speed of 600 and no reverse. Has anybody ever added these features to a lathe motor? It seems like it would be possible. I’d love to get some advice.

Thanks,

Curt

Hi Curt. I am not a motor guy, but I am curious: did you by new or from Craig’s List?

Also, how’s the egg collection going?

Found it on craigslist. The guy couldn’t move it anymore. He bought a smaller lathe.

I’m somewhere in the 70s on the eggs.

1 Like

Arggghhh!!! You’re the one! I was trying to get that guy to respond to me for a week. I just wasn’t sure if I had a 240V line accessible in my house…

May all your eggs hatch into horrible, spoiled children :child: :child::child::child::child::child::child::child::child:!

Never done it … but my advice is to be careful if you run it in reverse. Normal right-handed threaded things (like chucks and faceplates) tend to spin off the lathe when you run it in reverse.

1 Like

Adding a VFD should give you the ability to go in reverse.

You would have to replace the motor on this to use a VFD. A VFD sounds like what you need. This machine comes with a single phase motor. It will NOT work with a VFD.

plus 1 for VFD

Can you send a photo of your motor plate.

Also are you willing to get a new motor?

Someone that did it

1 Like

You can get a single phase output VFD but they are limited on the motors they can be used on. Additionally if your motor is not inverter rated then you will likely & eventually burn a hole in your windings to ground or get fluting on the bearings. The fluting is less likely to happen due to the likely infrequent use of the machine. Even with an inverter rated motor you can still get fluting if you don’t use a grounding ring.

1 Like