Zing progress update? (Repaired 5/20)

Does anyone know the status or timeline for the zing getting fixed? I know multiple people have attempted to fix it, but no luck. Does epilog provide any maintenence service for these?

It’s over on this thread…

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/in-progress-issue-zing-out-of-focus/21199/14

A new lense has been installed and focus probe will be installed soon (@gbeauw has said he’d install it this weekend). New side rails will be installed too now that we got the proper ones and screws for them.

Beau has been amazing maintaining the Zing and troubleshooting with Epilog! Hopefully we’ll have it back in tip top shape soon.

4 Likes

Many thanks to @gbeauw for all the work maintaining it (and anyone else who I have overlooked)!

Is it possible to put an “enhancement” on the wish list? Would it be possible to put something like normal window screen over the slot at the back of the Zing where the airflow is? This would rescue some smaller parts that tend to get sucked up when you forget to put on tabs. (Not that I know about that.) I looked at it, but it wasn’t obvious to me how to get in there to do that. With the bed out it might be easier.

3 Likes

Sounds good. thanks @gbeauw for the maintenance!

If you need to use the Zing before I get it repaired, just move the focus
about 1/4" down from the existing Focus Probe’s length. The focal length
of the Zing lens is 2" from the lens. You can also use that to eyeball the
focus and get pretty close. For most work that may be close enough.

3 Likes

I don’t think that is a good idea. No matter how small we make the mesh there will always be some parts that are small enough to slip through. It would also be a rather major modification.

Here’s my suggestion:
Remove the Honeycomb/Matrix box by droping the bed nearly to the bottom limits. You can then lift out the box and just use the bed without the Matrix. (That’s what I do when I need to cut small parts and don’t want to fish them out of the box when I’m done.)

Now place your material on the bed as far to the front of the machine as possible and raise it to focus on your material. With your material far forward on the bed you shouldn’t have so much of a problem.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to use tabs. To do that, break your vectors in your artwork so they don’t meet and form a continuous cut.

Don’t forget to put the Matrix box back when you are done.
Beau

One final note on the Zing.

If you feel that the lens or mirrors are dirty (often indicated by a weak Red Dot Pointer after you have focused), please DO NOT clean them with Isopropyl alcohol! That will damage the coating on the lens and mirrors according to Epilog Tech Support.

There is special Epilog Lens cleaning solution in the Black Laser Maintenance box that must be used. This procedure is probably best left to someone in the Laser Committee that knows where this is and how to clean the lens/mirrors or has received training on how to do this.

Beau

[quote=“gbeauw, post:7, topic:21671”]
It would also be a rather major modification. [/quote]
Sorry. I wasn’t trying to propose something major.

Here’s my suggestion: You can … use the bed without the Matrix. … don’t want to fish them out of the box when I’m done … Now place your material on the bed as far to the front of the machine as possible [/quote]

The issue isn’t so much falling through the matrix - it’s getting sucked out the rear - especially when cutting paper. Positioning it in the front helps, but doesn’t alleviate the problem.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to use tabs. [/quote]

Yep - I use tabs prolifically - at least when I remember. :slight_smile: I was just looking for something additional for when I have those bonehead moments and forget. And I certainly didn’t want to suggest a major mod. But thanks for the suggestions - especially the one about removing the matrix. That one might be particularly helpful.

Zing is back in business with new Guide Rails (you can read the numbers now) which have been aligned to the X and Y Axis of the Gantry. Also, a new Focus Probe has been installed and adjusted to the specified 2" focal length from the lens. (I had to add a 6-32 Jam nut and a bit of Locktite (Blue) to it to hopefully prevent it from twisting out of alignment.)

I ran a focus test and it all appears to be pretty much on target focus wise. I also ran a Raster Engrave test at the Upper Left corner and Lower Right Corner and it looks good.

Please remember to stow the Focus Probe into its holder on the Gantry after you have performed a manual focus. (That will help prevent it from getting damaged and thrown out of alignment.)

Finally, the screws they sent to mount the new Rails were not the right part. I have pictures to send Epilog TS so they send the correct screws. I used the few screws that were in the old Rails for now but that wasn’t a full complement of screws hence my request for TS to send me a new set.

Happy Lasering!

6 Likes

Thanks so much for repairing this!

I have updated the Tool Status Board to show the Zing as fully operational.

Beau, I soooo appreciate you for all your time spent on the Zing! If I can bake you cookies or bring you a six pack of something I will! Just let me know what you like :smile:

2 Likes

No need. It is my pleasure. Remember, I’m a big user of that laser for my projects. Therefore, it is in my own best interest to keep it in good working order.
What you “could” do is to continue to bug the Infrastructure team to get our compressed air “ball” back so we can keep our lasers clean and reduce the possibility of fire due to soot and dust build-up.
Regards
Beau

1 Like