Zing firing weak on right half side

Hey guys, I noticed an issue with the Zing. It seems to be printing much weaker on the right half side of the laser printing space. It should be printing evenly across the board. I believe this could be fixed by re-aligning the lens, I’m just guessing but what do you think would cause this, Is there a way to fix it? Can someone help? @michaelb

1 Like

I think you are correct a dirty lens or misaligned lens.

Hey! Thanks for posting publicly. We’ve actually got a couple people that volunteer to help maintain the lasers, they’re listed under @Team_Laser.

It’s possible the laser is misaligned as we just replaced two mirrors and I did some major cleaning while we were closed, however the mounting scheme used by epilog is not intended to need realignment except in very rare cases. The alignment screws are actually epoxied in place by the factory.

@squaredroots has more experience with the Zing and might have a better suggestion here.

the table can get messed up if someone gets something jammed in it while moving it. its a pain to readjust.

1 Like

Where is the zing located rn? I’ll pop by tomorrow and take a look.

2 Likes

It’s in old 3D fab (orange). It’d be appreciated!

Could also be the table I had the platform out for cleaning.

2 Likes

I didn’t have any issues when I checked it this morning. I’ll pop by again later today or tomorrow morning and see if I can reproduce it.

2 Likes

I can help reproduce this if need be! Basically, I cut out a template on a quarter inch piece of MDF and the left half cut out perfectly, and the right side didn’t even cut halfway through

Why use the Zing for 1/4" MDF? The thunders will work much better at that thickness. We generally tell people the Zing is intended for engraving and light cutting (<=1/8" material).

Also, Epilog recommends focusing the laser about 1mm closer to the material than the standard focus gauge when using 1/4" and thicker material. They also mention that two passes may be required.

1 Like

Yeah the zing can’t do 1/4" woods well at all. That’s your problem.

Edit. Even more so for MDF because lasers don’t like compressed wood as much

2 Likes

Hey sorry, I may have mispoke. I don’t know if it was exactly 1/4 inch, it might be 1/8 inch. But this happened again, when we tried to do the engraving, the engraving on the left half came out great, and the engravings on the right half became lighter and lighter. We mainly only engrave so I know the material isn’t the problem! Yup, I focused it properly as well and tried up to 3 passes.