You guys aren't alone when it comes to grinder wheels

I think you mean Tim said a good grinding wheel costs $40, not Nick Silva.

That said, not sure the point as it is still a low cost replacement at $40 and no one has stated the actual value of the wheel in the picture. I just know that you can get wheel like that for around the $9+ range.

This is just more fear mongering around tools. It isn’t helpful as it suggests that you will be flamed for making even minor mistakes. Why report an issue to the guy that calls people that make mistakes a “Donkey F***er” and suggests they should lose their job for it.

I remember a PM thread where Nick Silva flipped out over things not being fully put away. The committee pointed it out as a joke knowing he would rage before realizing it was he who left the item out.

There is no need to exaggerate the harm done here. It is obviously minor.

You are out of your mind.

Nice Ad hominem,
Hope that BOD agenda item doesn’t pass.

I hope it does. I’d bet YOU would get hit with long before I do.

1 Like

I had already corrected it before your reply. We probably were both in the edit/post window at the same time.

Doesn’t mean that’s what the cost of it is; first you don’t know the original size. The common wheels at the local hardware stores are typically 6 inch wheels, where as many commercial shops (and ours at DMS) use 8". I won’t determine what size or type wheel was in that bushing in the OP since I don’t have the scale, but it’s a recklessly abused wheel.

There’s a difference between a learning experience and abuse of a tool and creating a safety condition that is not cleaned up. There’s a reason our grinders have to have padlocks now; in a commercial shop I would expect better etiquette than what we have here.

Tell that to people, including myself, who have had abused wheels explode. It is not fun, it is dangerous.

Regarding Nick Silva’s particular tone, I won’t comment since I’m not going to get into that (same reason I don’t think the agenda item regarding ‘ad hominem’ is a good idea despite the numerous offenses by many on this form for it).

However I will not let you belittle what is a serious safety problem that has no business happening in any shared tool. If you do that on your own wheels and don’t care, so be it. Doing that on wheels other people use is reckless.

1 Like

Leading cause of exploding grinding wheels are cracks in the wheel. Here is how to test if a wheel is cracked.

In a mixed use shop you can not always know the state of a tool and you should inspect tools closely, especially high speed spinning tools. When I do grinding or more likely buffing at DMS on a pedestal grinder/buffer, I bring my own known quantity wheels and compounds. This is because I don’t trust that the ones on the machine have been maintained or lack contamination. I would suggest this practice to anyone in the same situation. It is a bit of a pain, but I don’t ruin my projects and keep myself and those around me as safe as I can.

You are side stepping the issue here. that somehow people don’t have to take care of the equipment because technically it could be the next person’s problem.
All it takes is not checking the wheel once when not present with it. I’ve walked away from a grinder and come back 30 min later without doing a fresh check; that doesn’t mean the person who did something stupid during the interim has zero fault if it’s against the rules, training, and generally unsafe.

Do you see us checking the bolts on the automotive lift every time we run it to check for stress in case something too heavy was loaded?

yeah, and how do you think wheels get cracked? Abuse like this. It’s not just cracks, it also happens with loading of the wheel with materials such as aluminum.

Not everyone has the luxury of their own tools and components every time, hence why they may be at DMS in the first place if they could otherwise have their own tools.

There is no excuse for a grinding wheel looking like that in a shop where either there is training or commercial work, there is no trying to pass the blame onto the next person.

Just like a lot of your other posts, you try to gaslight people to distract and justify your own stance.

tenor

Got to love when you just share best practices and still get yelled down in a thread. @hon1nbo what I shared with you is what I learned in middle school shop class. You are the one that has had grinding wheels blow up on you. I have never had this happen to me because I learned at 12 years old to bring my own wheel and also to check it for cracks.

Also, you and Nick again ad hominem attack me. Note again why that rule on the other thread is so poor as nick would face a 6 month ban from talk at this point.

If the wheel is messed up replace it. If you are in a mixed use shop, maintain your own wheel and use it rather than one of unknown quantity. If you see someone making a mistake try to correct it. Flaming all mistakes publicly doesn’t help the culture of the space. Especially, when the mistake isn’t even one of DMS, but instead a flame up left over from work.

Edit to reply to comments below,

At what point did DMS become a Professional Environment? It is a mixed use shop with the majority of people using it learning on the tools they are using. If you are talking about Nick Silva’s shop, he was using the example of a wheel getting messed up to show that it not only happens in DMS, but also professional shops. As well as taking the opportunity to flame this guy in his shop again in a forum by which the guy is not privy to the conversation.

It doesn’t matter at what age you learned a good safety rule. I don’t have to claim authority in this thread by showing the wounds inflicted upon me by not following best practices in using a pedestal grinder, because I learned them early in my use of the tool and haven’t suffered those wounds due to it. I’m not one of the lucky ones caught in a near miss. Some feel it is a luxury to be safe when using these grinders, I just hope I’m not around these people when things inevitably go wrong.

Also, for those that are trying to learn in this thread, always stand out of line of the grinding wheel. That way if a wheel does shatter on you, it may catch a smaller target of your limbs rather than the larger area of your torso.

Good luck with the thread.

you ever think maybe the “best practices” learned at 12 years old might be a bit different from expectations in a professional environment?

1 Like

And do you realize YOU are one of the reasons they are proposing that rule? You’re constant badgering, spreading unsubstantiated rumor and decent, constant in in-constructive criticism, ad hominem attack’s which you then try to deflect with high school psychology and gas lighting. Dude you are a joke. No seriously, you have no idea that you are the butt of so many jokes. And it’s not the first time a rule was made up because of YOU- or do we need to rehash the ATF/Fire Marshall, trying to represent yourself as speaking for DMS fiasco again?