YInMnO Gala 12/12/18

5 Likes

Jinx! hahahaha also some other characters.

3 Likes

This thread definitely put it on the t-ball stand and we just took a swing :laughing:

4 Likes

Hey, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad…I could be a Star Trek character.

Thanks. The question is would it make it easier or harder to get married?

Not any harder to get married, just harder to justify getting married :rofl:

1 Like

If she really cared, she’d get blue too. Then we’d be in a state of holy blue matrimony.

1 Like

I can’t make it tonight. I have errands I HAVE to get done this evening. I’d like to have some set aside for leather. Actually, if I’m asking I’d like two portions. One to get INK made, and one to try to dye leather with. The leather takes priority. I don’t know how much I’d need, so I’ll take whatever portion it gets split out in please!

1 Like

I cant make it either sadly. I tried but its not going to happen.

It sounds like a lot of people want a piece of this stuff to try out, would we just be able to make a 2nd batch or was it really costly?

2 Likes

We do have more to make with what was purchased.
We sponsored $150 of the $300 cost.

Isn’t this exciting!

2 Likes

The full $300 will make a trash bag full, right?

2 Likes

I think that’s meth you’re thinking about.

5 Likes

Wait, so the Pigment is more expensive than Meth?!?!?!

I’m in the wrong line of work. I should have chosen science!

1 Like

Ya, read this article - the race to find a new red (related to this) is a billion dollar race:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-quest-for-billion-dollar-red/

Color isn’t for suckers

2 Likes

I think it will be interesting to see how it does when it’s fired (or baked). It is reported to have “unusually high” near-IR reflectance - but I’m guessing that a kiln would completely overwhelm that.

1 Like

From what I understand it was created at a fairy high temp in the science kiln.

I’m not going to make it. I’m not going to get out of Wayne’s shop on time to go take a shower and make it back. :cry:
We all know I’m about silk screening some fabric and dying some fabric… may also doing the shaving cream mottling on some fabric.
Have a blue time!

1 Like

Facebook group to document successes/failures:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/767443510278167/

I’ll eventually start a website for this or something of the like but for now all I have is a Facebook group.

I believe DMS is the PERFECT place for experimentation of this beautiful new pigment and based on the excitement of last night others believe the same. Daryl did a truly wonderful idea of addressing the scientific process of making this pigment and I did a half-assed job of trying to contain brainstorming into actual results.

Right now we have
@Nathan_Jones @dianarhodes experimenting with applications within ceramics
@meanbaby experimenting with applications within glass
Two tims (and I’m sorry I don’t know the tags) experimenting with applications within fibers
Tim and @thespacemaker experimenting with applications with tattoo ink (if possible)
@Lampy @Nick will be experimenting with applications in pyrotechnics
@Kriskat30 and @Lordrook will be experimenting with applications in resin
Dale want to experiment with applications in Resin and wood inlay
@Webdevel is interested in applications with leather
@Webdevel also knows someone who’s going to try to apply it to pen ink
I’m going to take on encaustics and creating true watercolors
@MizGeek is interested in applying it to fibers
@claybell is interested in applications with infrared

@dr_cee brought up the issue with true solubility as he believes its only going to work within an acid

Other ideas that were thrown around:
Screenprinting applications
Fabric dyes
Paper ink
Stain
Temporary tattoos
Kamucha fabric
Henna body application/staining
Acrylic Paint

4 Likes

awesome. when can I get my share of the pigment? I’m ready to start screwing things up!

1 Like

I was sorry to have to run off early, but am glad for the 30ish minutes that I did get to spend. It’s really neat stuff!
I can report that Daryl mentioned that it was ok to touch it, which I did, and I rubbed it between my forefinger and thumb. Stained my finger a lot less than the same amount of pen ink would have, which makes sense as it is a powder.