XYZ da Vinci Jr

Interesting…

Wonder how their QC is doing… They introduced a new printer with a price point of $349

Compact, easy-to-use, and requires no calibration

Auto-loading filament system, simple press-and-release extruder

And a print size of 5.9 x 5.9 x 5.9"

Won’t be long before folks hack the cartridge here too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

PLA only might be the limiting factor. You can get a Printrbot Simple maker kit for the same price and totally upgrade it and don’t have to hack it. The “requires no calibration” usually means “we’ll lock down any calibration you’ll want to make”, and as long as you use our over-priced filament.

1 Like

and the chipped filament cartriges. its as bad as printer ink.
I have a davinci 1.
There are 2 methods to talk to the printer without their ‘could be better’ proprietary software. a hacked proxy, so other programs can talk to it, or simplify3d, which is what I use.

They arn’t bad printers, and mine is good now that ive replaced the extruder assembly with a new one.

1 Like

They will sell a lot of them at that price point since they have larger retail exposure than other brands. They will appeal to folks who are looking for a cheap, entry level printer to learn with before spending more money.

1 Like

At the end of a long frustrating day trying to get the provided software to make a decent print, I found https://www.simplify3d.com/ … and bought it out of annoyance.

Its just as well, its the most useful 3d printing software I’ve used, and it talks to the davinci’s without hacking them or an ‘apparent’ proxy.

Its much better than the provided software… it also doesn’t compel you to update the robot every time you run it.

1 Like

The reviews seem to be pretty good for it. For me, building a reprap that can use whatever filament I want, even though I’m paying twice as much to build it, is still a plus. For the 3D printer novice, I don’t think I’d shy anyone away from the Da Vinci Jr., same with the Dremel Ideamaker, etc.

For what it’s worth - the daVinci 1.0 is $350 today on 1sale.com

2 Likes

Worth it if you are willing to flash the firmware. Even buying a few of their cartridges it would probably be ok.

the XYZ software always calls home when its run, if you get one and never want it updating to some new copy protection scheme, disable the network and block it in the firewall immediately.
once its updated, forget hacking it… short of replacing the onboard completely…

You could use the proxy’s that use a neutered xyz software to talk to the printer that wont update, or simplify3d, which has nothing to do with xyz.

I got the davinci 1 to do .1 layers, I never got that to work right with the supplied software.