Would these bits be useful for the Shapeoko?

I have been working with Molza Tool in California who makes quality US made carbide tooling that is perfect for the Multicam. Given our non-profit status, they graciously offered to supply a significant variety of cutter styles at truly outstanding prices. They have an significant inventory of old stock 1/4" shank x 1/8" dia x 1/4" LOC down spiral bits that they will sell to DMS for $0.92 each plus shipping. These are generally too small a length of cut (LOC) for Multicam users, but might they be of interest for the Shapeoko? I have one bit that was sent for testing.

7 Likes

I think these could work. The Shapeoko 2 has an ER11 collet and can accept 1/4" shank tooling. What’s the OAL (overall length) on these? I ask because the Shapeoko 2 doesn’t have a lot of clearance.

Another possible user is the Sherline Mill in Machine Shop. @nicksilva?

1 Like

I’m going to guess 2", but will measure next time I am at DMS.

0 Likes

They are certainly good candidates for the Sherline mill. Now if they had some ball-nose bits we could use them on the HAAS.

1 Like

What size ball nose? I can ask.

1 Like

We use the 1/16th for the domino project but 1:8 is also a good one

0 Likes

What shank size is preferred?
Also do you have other end mill sizes that you would like for me to check on for other milling machines?

0 Likes

For those they are usually 1/8 th shanks. For the larger sizes I’m pretty particular in the flutes so will stick with what I normally order. Those metal guys are pretty hard on tools

0 Likes

Molza has 44 of the subject bits in stock. I have requested an invoice for all of them. Will proceed with the order. Now Machine and CA will need to decide how to split & pay for the goods by the time I have an invoice to submit to finance …

@uglyknees @jphelps @nicksilva

1 Like

If you want to drop the demo end Mill in my bin I will give it a try on the Shapeoko and Sherline and report back.

0 Likes

That should not be a problem. We can ask the bookkeeper to move the funds from one committee to the committee that paid

0 Likes

In your bin, in the green cup, 2.5" long

1 Like