Woohoo! 1000 members!

{“updated”:“2015-09-03T21:32:15-05:00”,“members”:835,“addons”:170,“total”:1005}

https://accounts.dallasmakerspace.org/member_count.php

Where’s the champagne?

6 Likes

Outstanding - we no longer have to say “We’re almost a thousand members” What is great is a larger pool of members will support more and varied interests as it is easier to get enough sustaining interest.

The “M” in MakerSpace now is a Roman Numeral!!

3 Likes

Mitch and Everyone!

Woohoo! 1000 members!

EXCELLENT! (cool link, by the way)

Just in time for the 5th Year Anniversary Open House - Happy Birthday DMS!

The “M” in MakerSpace now is a Roman Numeral!!

Clever insight, David.

JAG “10^3 Makers Be Good” MAN

2 Likes

We were the largest (by membership count) Makerspace/Hackerspace in the country but now I think the world’s largest. I think it’d be hard to get the member count of all the makerspaces.

Mitch,

We were the largest member Makerspace/Hackerspace in the country but now I think the world’s largest.

In terms of sheer members? Who is in second place? There is that Makerspace in Columbus OH that allegedly has 65,000 square feet, but I am not finding recent news on it. Anyone have an update?

JAG “Finally A Topic We Can All Be Friendly and In Agreement About” MAN

1 Like

WE ARE LEGION amongst Makers

3 Likes

WE ARE LEGION amongst Makers

Let’s just not have Jesus casting us out of the Space into a herd of swine… (Bible reference)

JAG “Makers CH. 15 Verse 12” MAN

I’m glad we’ve gone this long and with this many members, and we haven’t had any major incidents (knock on Allen’s tables)

1 Like

We were the largest (by membership count) Makerspace/Hackerspace in the country but now I think the world’s largest. I think it’d be hard to get the member count of all the makerspaces.

Sounds like time for a press release…

JAG “Kermit The Frog Here With Sesame Street News” MAN

1 Like

@KrissyHeishman and other PR people, maybe it’s something we can write about once it’s confirmed.

Who wants to research membership numbers at other places to confirm?

@KrissyHeishman and other PR people, maybe it’s something we can write about once it’s confirmed. Who wants to research membership numbers at other places to confirm?

Perhaps write an email to Makezine and ask?

Here is an interesting link on Creating Makerspaces…

http://makezine.com/2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-creating-a-business-model/

JAG “Thread Trajectory Is Good, Dallas Control” MAN

Hell, I’m not very patient in this case and went ahead and sent an email inquiry to Makezine. I know someone else who might have the numbers…

JAG “Gumshoe Detective - Tracer Bullet” MAN

2 Likes

http://www.columbusideafoundry.com/#!press/cdvh

Their last update on their press page shows “With more than 200 members and 75 member-entrepreneurs, we’re always working on something exciting at the shop.”

Not sure how current that is…

I will say one thing though… DAYUM ~ They got their 'ish together!!!

If we are looking to continue to grow into the biggest baddest 'Space around, it looks like getting sponsors 'n grants 'n all is the way to go! :wink:

While it’s really neat to say, “We have Over One Thousand Members now!!!”…

… I still kinda sorta miss The Old 'Space… aaaaah the memories! <3

OK Ok ok… back to “now”…

Yay Us! We have Over One Thousand Members Now! w00t! :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome, I would be interested to see how we compare in membership.

Another interesting thing about that article is the employees they have at Asylum. I definitely know we are the biggest volunteer-only run Makerspace, although I don’t think that is very sustainable just like the article stated

“Artisan’s Asylum ran as an all-volunteer organization for a year at a size of 9,000 square
feet. At the end of the year, all of our volunteers were dead tired, and our programs were starting to fall apart. Classes weren’t being advertised or developed on-time, membership payments weren’t being collected as effectively as they needed to be, and nobody could work on their personal projects because they were constantly developing the space.”

That sounds like some of the issues we’ve ran into. I won’t derail this celebration post but it’s an interesting thing to note.

You mean JAG “untraceable ice bullet” MAN lol

2 Likes

Shouldn’t it now be: W000T?

1 Like

lol yeah maybe… i’m just not that kewl! :stuck_out_tongue:
w00t! :wink:

No, that would be W1111101000T

1 Like

They have 65,000 square feet among 275 members? That’s more than three times the space and almost 1/4th the members… shizzle…

Still, we are most awesome with the AMOUNT of growth in the last year. And “Amen” to Mitch’s comment about no major incidents.

JAG “The Secret Life of Calvin & Hobbes” MAN

2 Likes

Mell and I were actually at the Columbus Idea Foundry this past Monday. I spoke with the founder/CEO for a bit, got a really quick tour and gained some insight. They are just over 450 members with 5 employees. They do not have a cleaning crew. They have an interview process for all new members and require that you take at least 2 classes before you can even try to be a member. This is to screen out the “toxic members” .

They do rent out office space in their 60K+ sqft building but not all of it is finished. They just got a grant for $500K to renovate their top floor. He said you can’t under estimate the marketing team. All classes cost money and all tool usage costs money.

They had two wood shops because it is hard to teach a class while members use tools (I totally get that!).

There are areas where we excel and areas where they do. I took more notes but I am currently just on my phone.

Below are my pics, hope you all can see them. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-KBCWE3VUfdflU3RXF2Zm5tNUllVmw1dEhoUmJ2OXV4N0stRGJKc0lQbS04NWQ1Mmg1Zlk&usp=sharing

EDIT: Had to update the link.

5 Likes

I’m not flinging pooh. What they have appears to be very nice. But, when you want to start talking floorspace and industrial manufacturing machines, Columbus Ohio WILL cost less than Dallas Texas, especially in years following 2008…
If you need a map to figure out what I mean, this post was probably not meant for you.

Bring on more “Tracer Bullet”. Best comic ever. Please come back, Bill! We miss you! (No offense Berkley, we love your work, too)

1 Like