WOODSHOP WILL OPEN AT 7PM tonight, 9/1

Based off discussion with Multicam users, if members would like to CNC small projects and carefully follow the machine head using a floor canister vacuum, they may use the CNC.

Members must use dust collection while using the CNC. Use of the Multicam without a vacuum of some sort is not permitted.

Please also be meticulous about cleaning the area around the machine.

2 Likes

I just came from the Woodshop. Rich made it pretty clear that ALL of the Woodshop machines that use the Felder for dust collection–including the Multicam–are down and will remain so until we get the Felder situation sorted. I’m sure he’ll be giving us an update this evening.

On another note: I see the guy that was cutting the big sheets of 3/4" MDF on Saturday was nice enough to leave all of his scrap behind, leaning up against the pony wall shared with the Jet lathes. :unamused:

Thanks. I haven’t had an opportunity to talk to Rich since I made that call. I’ll let him know.

1 Like

Wood shop will open tonight at 7pm.

The issues with the Felder have not been completely resolved however the machine is at an acceptable level that we can open the shop tonight.

The Felder may need to be taken offline during the day for a few hours at some point in the near future.

If you happen to be here during the time it is down, please be patient with us as we work to make sure the shop is the safest it can be.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this issue, particularly @richmeyer @pjolone1 @hon1nbo.

Thanks to the general membership who complied with the shop’s unexpected closing.

@Team_Moderators please unpin Tomorrow (9/2) morning.

14 Likes

Thank you for the update

1 Like

What did the tech do and what is the plan for a more permanent fix?

1 Like

Tech did a full wiring check and verified that all parts were functioning as expected. No issues found in internal system.

Over-amp issue was attributed to heavily clogged filters causing the motor to work overtime.

Resolution is to prevent extensive dust build up in the future by scheduling regular clean-outs of the dust collector.

With the understanding of that issue resolved we are able to re-open.

Other issues we found were not related to the tech but rather original infrastructure install. Those are what we’re working to resolve now, and will involve minimal downtime over the coming days.

1 Like

I remember being told that part of the issue was the size of the ductwork going into the felder. I am wondering if there’s a way we can temporarily increase it, or at least gradually reduce it, Rather than the current sudden change from what looks like 8 in to 15 in at the felder itself

1 Like

On some types of machines, inlet diameter affects motor strain as it attempts to reach equilibrium with the system.

I spoke with a fluids engineer and he told me that on our type of machine this is not the case, the vacuum finds equilibrium without causing undue strain on the motor.

We can certainly try upgrading the inlet tubing, we have the parts in the warehouse, I just did not feel it a priority based off my conversation with the engineer.

My understanding was that one of the big culprits was an accumulation of MDF dust in the filters. Although MDF is easy to machine, the dust is nasty stuff. I wonder if we should place some restrictions on using MDF on machines like the Multicam, where it generates clouds of MDF dust. Not an outright ban mind you, maybe something more along the lines of you have to clean the Felder if you do it.

5 Likes

I was here the other night and who ever was using the multi cam had massive amounts of MDF dust… to that they plugged up the shop vac and left it full for others to clean… not very Neighborly but if the MDF machining in the Multicam contributed to Failure? Then perhaps requiring those that machine MDF on the Multicam clean the dust collector And shop vac might be in order? To be neighborly…

3 Likes

@Team_Moderators please un-pin. Thank you for your help.

I think you maybe onto something in forcing people to use the shop vac for dust collection when using the Multicam to cut MDF and not the Felder. The shop vac is MUCH easier to clean than the Felder, even though in this case the same knucklehead that left all of the MDF scraps for someone else to clean up also left the shop vac completely clogged with MDF dust.

Nothing DMS has used gets cleaner air than the Felder … at last when it is operating correctly. I have suggested to Ian that Woodshop explore equipping the Multicam with a cyclone type separator that has an exit blower going to the Felder. A huge amount of even the MDF dust will be taken out by the cyclone and the very small amount that doesn’t then goes to the Felder to protect the air from the fine particles that any other device will spew into the shop. There are scads of YouTube videos showing how to convert a conventional bag filter unit into the first stage of a two stage system. It’s all well within Maker’s ability to build.

7 Likes

I was The 27th Friday night, I remember seeing dust almost to the gantry… (I’ve never used the Multicam… still waiting on someone to offer a class… ) I didn’t know better or I would have said something to the guy…

Yes, so much this. They work very well.

1 Like

@IanLee have we considered purchasing the one being offered for sell by @Shawn_Christian for the MultiCam? Don’t know if that’s too big for what we’d be looking for.
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/fs-5hp-240v-cyclone-dust-collector/74017/3

Didn’t we used to have two of them? I thought I saw them laying down in the back before the metal shop moved in.

We’ve got 2 cyclones that were used before the felder was put in place. We just need to figure out if / how to incorporate them into the felder loop.

I’m not sure that a cyclone by itself is the best option as our biggest issue with them before the Felder was that fine dust clogged up the exhaust filters and they have to be cleaned out constantly. If we can figure out a way to exhaust the cyclone into the felder that may work best… but it may screw with the felder vacuum so not sure if it’s a good idea or not.

1 Like