Woodshop Training Requests Q4 2020

Let’s centralize all training requests and class postings to consolidated, quarterly posts.

If you’d like a class, post it here. (mods, feel free to merge new topics into one post each quarter.)

If you’re posting a class for a certain date, announce it here.

Please remember that all classes are taught by volunteers who are giving up their own making time to teach. Woodshop and Lathe basics classes typically ask for a $10 donation to Woodshop to help cover supplies and maintenance costs.

If you’re unable to make classes repeatedly, you’re always welcome to ask for 1-1 training and / or offer teachers an incentive (like cash, rare wood, snacks, or otherwise.)

Mods is it possible to pin this in the Woodshop category?

4 Likes

I just posted classes for Sept 9th @ 7pm and the 16th @ 7:30 pm. They should hit the live schedule around 4:45 pm on Thursday.

Nathan

1 Like

Hey y’all,

I just joined and am really excited to have found the space. Naturally, I didn’t realize the trainings that are required for all of the wood shop tools after paying for membership. No sweat, but it looks like I can’t get into a safety training until the 3rd of October.

Would anyone be willing / able to get me certified for the basic wood shop tools? I have a shop at my house where I use a table saw, planer, joiner, etc. on a daily basis so I shouldn’t be too tough of a student.

Thanks,

1 Like

Signed up for the class on October 3rd. If anyone feels inclined to give me the shakedown that is required to start using the shop before then I would be tremendously grateful.

Also, if anyone in the woodshop is willing / able to meet me up there to sign waivers and get a key, that would be awesome.

My schedule is extremely flexible. I can work around pretty much any time that works for other members.

1 Like

I’m not in Woodshop, but I’m up here most afternoons and evenings. How soon do you want to get that done?

Hi, I need to be certified for the woodshop. If anyone is willing to teach me 1 on 1 or put together a class soon, that would be amazing! I am available pretty much any time any day right now, though not next weekend.

Whenever. I live in north Dallas but I’m willing to work around your schedule. If you don’t mind texting me next time you are headed up there, I’d be happy to meet you there, with the exception of Saturday 09/19.

Same boat. I don’t know what the odds are, so I went ahead and signed up for the 10/03 safety class. Based on other posts, the classes fill up quickly.

Let’s say Sunday afternoon, then. I’ll try to be there about 1-ish, and I’ll text you when I’m headed that way. I live very close.

Sounds great, thank you! @dryad2b

1 Like

Mind if I join? I can be there sunday at 1 as well

I’m only going to help him get his fob.

Oh nevermind. Ok

Just a FYI:

There are 3 classes for Woodshop Basics coming up in the next couple of weeks that have space still available.

Tues 9/29: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15990 <-Opens in a couple days
Sat 10/3: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15977 [One spot left]
Wed 10/7: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15978 [Three spots left]

Hey, my friend @cduckle I would like to be trained on the lathe and the CNC table. We can offer $15 each for your time. We’re free pretty much any afternoon after 6:30 and on most weekends. We’d be super appreciative if anyone has some time.

Daniel

1 Like

Would it be possible to set up a one-on-one training for the Router CNC?

Is the Woodshop safety/basics course required first?

1 Like

Hi, not sure if your only interested in one-on-one but my friend and I are also interested in getting trained on the CNC. It might be better for someone looking to train multiple people - just letting you know the interest is there.
Thanks,
Christian

Oh, I’m good with whatever.

1 Like

Also looking for training on the multicam. I’ve watched a few people run their projects and walk me through basics (y’all rock), and would like to get the formal training so I can use this on my own.

Thanks!