Woodshop Training Requests Q4 2020

Hi. My name is Nolan. I am not a member but I am looking towards becoming one. The problem is that whenever I want to sign up for a woodshop class, I have to schedule a month in advance. I wonder if there’s anyone I can get in contact with to assure I can get in a class and be able to pay for that month and on.

Also are we not allowed access to shop if we haven’t taken the training course? I just assumed since my old university had the same rule for their woodshop.

Hello esteemed trainers. I mixed up my dates and I thought I had scheduled my Woodshop training for 10/6, but it was actually for 9/29. I already paid the fee. Would it be possible to show up as an alternate in case there is a last minute opening? Or are there any other guidelines for these situations? I appreciate your time, and give my deepest apologies for my mix up.

In general, you can show up to any class and wait to see if someone else doesn’t show up. It’s not infrequent for students to forget / no show a class. If you’re there waiting to get in you can snag that spot.

@Team_Moderators

How long does a pin last? Maybe we can change this to a quarterly thread? Seems to be working for now… I can’t edit the title so if we’re gonna keep it around through the end of the year can you update the title for me?

My friend and I are looking for training on the wood lathes. If anyone is open to train/certify us we’d be more than happy to pay for a 2 on 1 session.

Thank you good sir! I will be around for the next one then. Or the next :slight_smile: Until then.

I posted two more classes for Oct 21 & Oct 22.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16016
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16017

They should “go live” on the calendar in two more days…

1 Like

Hi All,

Just put two Lathe Basics classes on the calendar for October 17th - One at 9 AM and one at 11:30. They should show up on the events calendar by Sunday.

4 Likes

These classes are live. I’ll see you on the 17th. Thank you @prl2018

1 Like

Hello, is the woodshop basics the same as woodshop 1? I need to get through all 4 classes so I can get some projects finished. I have a small lathe, miter and table saw, routers and a few other tools at my house that I use however I’m joining the Makerspace because y’alls are way bigger than I can buy and I’m also running out of space. I will also need to meet someone up there to get my fob/card when I do the woodshop 1 class.

Thanks so much

Woodshop basics is a single long version of woodshop 1-4. It will cover you for access to all the large power tools in the shop except the CNC and Lathes.

Okay fantastic, thank you! Can I show up and get my fob/keycard at the same time as the class? I just joined and signed up for the class on the 21st since the one on the 14th is full.

You can, but I would suggest stopping by another time and getting your fob setup before hand. Makes it easier to get in and around the building during class time. There’s usually someone here in the afternoons/ evenings who will help out.

@dryad2b seems to be helping out lots of interested members lately?

2 Likes

With what sounds like a lot of interest in Woodshop Basics, it’s surprising to see that there are still two spaces open in the class on 10/22.

2 Likes

@Aintnolobos, I’m at Makerspace at least 4 days a week. I can meet you up there to get your fob set up and show you around. That way you know where to go when it’s time for your class. If this interests you at all, PM me and we can set something up.

EDIT: I’ll reinforce what @IanLee is saying. I highly recommend getting your fob set up prior to training.

That sounds great, what times are you usually there? I’m free after five the next three days and then pretty much free whenever after that.

I’ll be there this evening. I’ll be there before five and be leaving well into the “I should be home” hours.

1 Like

I would like to join the DMS for the purpose of using the wood working tools available. The currently posted classes for certification are full. Is there any way that additional classes could be made available? Is there another method to find out about/ask for this?

I am new to DMS and would be interested in a wood working class as well. Will any new classes be added for November? Thanks!