Woodshop sanders use with 3D prints

I have a piece that i printed on the 3D printer that is “slightly” too large. Can i use the sanders in the woodshop on 3D prints? I am afraid that the plastic will melt into the sand paper and ruin the it. Would it be better to just do some hand sanding?

Hand sanding and exacto knife will get you better results and not gum up the shapers in the woodshop.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. This is my first print and just wondering how to proceed.

Sharp fine metal file is my go-to tool for reducing plastic.

1 Like

The heat from the power sanders might deform the plastic. Hand sanding would be a better choice

2 Likes

No. Plastic is not allowed on any of the power sanders. Touching plastic to a power sander causes the plastic to instantly melt, ruining the expensive disks or belts. Those plastic streaks will cause un-even spots on wood, potentially ruining expensive material or projects.

3 Likes

This is generally true, although some plastics may not harm belts every time when used/cleaned correctly. But then we have to trust folks to both know and do this. Probably not worth it.

I don’t think this is the case anymore, although it’s really friggin’ hard to know for sure. @Mrksls2 (not to be confused with @Mrksls1) ?

Also, I don’t see a problem with people using the power sanders over on sanding table that have the throw-away/one-use sanding disks.

@trurobertson, here is a decent link if you have not already stumbled upon:

https://www.makerbot.com/professional/post-processing/sanding/

2 Likes

If you would like to use the shaping sanders or the hand sanders on plastic you must have knowledge of the material and provide your own belt/disc/sleeve, etc., or find me and I will let you know the current prices to buy one from us. Do not use the abrasive device currently installed, as it is intended for wood only. I will try to make every accommodation for plastics that I can, as most, if not all of the tools in the woodshop can be used for it with the right consumables and training. Thank you for asking first. There will be a thermoform plastics class (kydex sheath/holster making) on the calendar soon that will discuss and demonstrate plastics on the sanders. I would not recommend using ABS or PLA on them for the same reasons outlined above.

4 Likes

Another option would be the kmg 2"x72" belt sander with your own belts (very affordable, like $3-$5 each).

Easy to control speed, tension, and a variety of arc angles. Much greater control.

4 Likes

I usually just dremel my own 3d prints. Tends to get better results. If your item is so large and flat that you need to use a belt sander then you were probably better off making it using a diff method.

I’m reminded of the thread where someone was printing a something that looked a lot like a playstation 4 case

1 Like

I often use a small orbital air sander and palm sander on PLA and ABS (at home). Their electric counterparts will work as well. You have to practice and get a feel for the process. If you dwell in one spot for more than a moment, you will melt and ruin your piece. Expect to go through pads and plan accordingly if this is the route you are taking.

1 Like

We have a plastics offshoot from Machine shop. Talk to @nicksilva

that won’t be set up until after we move. 2020? 2021? yet to be determined.

The year will be 2047

1 Like

thank goodness. I hope to be dead by then. I won’t have to haul anything next door.

2 Likes

Just have a 2" x 72" with tilt table shipped to that wonderfully open space.

(john dreams of every committee having a 2" x 72" with tilt table)

1 Like