Woodshop safety

THIS

For a lot of shops I’ve been in the highest injury rate was users’ own pocked knives. So many lacerations from that trusty pocket knife the victim had for years and grew comfortable with.

My own ER visit from making was an electric shock from a pulse power system I’d been using regularly for 5 years by the time it happened;.

1 Like

a dull knife will cut you faster than a sharp knife…

2 Likes

Anytime you’re forcing the cut you’re probably using a dull tool. Spend a little time on a sharpening stone/diamond stone and make your job safer and easier. I agree a 100% with you on the dull tool comment.

Ever try to route with a dull router blade? You are just asking for trouble.

When I worked at United Technologies Fuel Cells - we had to watch the flash over films. The units I worked on were 1200V and 400kW.

This feels like a great time to bring up a safety vs money concern, recently we’ve decided to not provide dado cartridges for the saw stop so we can only use them on the powermatic , which to me is ludicrous, to save 89 per cartridge, we’re asking people to use a dado on one of the best table saws ever made meaning nothings going to stop it, a table saw blade injury might send you to the hospital but a dado stack on a powermatic 66 you might not make it to the hospital, so it seems absolutely insane budget cut to keep such a tool away from something that has a almost flawless safe guard, to save 90$

2 Likes

This decision was not made due to cost.

To be clear, the rule is that members are allowed to bring in their own dado stack and dado inserts for the sawstop, but they can’t use DMS dado stacks and the shop will not provide a dado insert.

This decision was made because of education and safety:

• If we allowed dados on the sawstop, we would tell members that “they can use the dado stack on the sawstop but that they have to swap the brake. When you’re done, be sure to swap the brake and blades back.”
  • This requires members to remember to swap the cartridge to use a dado stack. If they don’t remember, the machine becomes much more dangerous than the powermatic because now users are expecting a level of safety that the sawstop will not provide. In addition, the inertia of the heavier blade stack against the lighter brake could cause the blades to RUD.
  • We don’t train members in the basics class how to swap the cartridge, and if we’re instructing them to do so for a routine tool use mode, we should be teaching it.
  • Leaving the dado insert in and using a normal blade is also supposedly dangerous though I no longer remember why. Probably because dado blades are smaller diameter than regular blades.
  • Members who care enough to want to use the sawstop with a dado stack, will remember to bring in their own insert and stack, will remember to take the insert back out, and by the nature of being a self-selecting group, are motivated to learn how to do it correctly.
2 Likes

Invest in a CAT or RAT tourniquet if it’s a concern. Also, a packet of QuikClot if that’s a concern for you. I have both in my vehicle regularly? If you participated in WS committee activities to the degree you set forth your expectations you wouldn’t be posting these questions.

3 Likes

To Ian’s point…A bit of history that I was informed of… The general user doesn’t change cartridges (brakes) or blades regularly enough for training to be effective and useful over time. This caused significant confusion and unnecessary down time for this valuable resource. Hence, the decision was made to “norm” this machine to the needs of the average MS maker in the interests of being more available to all.

1 Like

There’s literally a thread about how the Dms dado we just had sharpened for Dms need to be taken back, so I don’t get the logic, of we have 3 Dms dado sets but you can’t use them you have to use your own, but if you do use your own you have to use it on a saftey net proof saw or but your own 90$ cartridge cause the thing Dms had be doing since atleast 2years ago( treating dado cartridges the same as regular ones and providing them but if you’re the one who triggered it then you bought it) for some reason no longer seems rational, which the only argument for not wanting to provide that safety net or the 90$ otherwise there’s no argument against using the saftey net
but you don’t seem to know about the saw stop if you say you can use it without the proper cartridge, the machine has a gauge where the blade has to be a certain very tight distance from the cartridge or it won’t start, that’s what the Allen wrenched on the side are for so you couldn’t even begin to start a dado with a 10 in blade cartridge that’s what I mean when I say that tool is almost perfectly failproof

Again I don’t see the upside of risk vs the couple a minutes a months saved in “down time” and confusion, plus we’ve literally had a tool that’s top 4 most used tools in the shop down for 75+ days for minor repairs, but you disregard for safety with the whole bring a thing of instaclot is in rather poor taste given the picture at the top of this thread

Sorry Chris, what tool was down for 75+ days and during what time period did this happen? You are babbling as per usual and imposing your expectations and experience as the standard for DMS. To wit… you emphatically stated to me in a ~6 am conversation on 6 March of this year that you would be bringing in all of your own blades and brakes for all tools you use. This was following a 4 AM call from you about the lack of blades you found acceptable for use. Such is the measure of your resolve and understanding that DMS is not a personal playground to be configured to your specs.

I thought we had QuikClot in the First Aid boxes? (or something very similar)

1 Like

We very well might. I keep a packet at hand knowing that it may very well help a loved one (or someone else’s loved one) arrive at the ER in a condition to be patched up permanently.

1 Like

Paul, this was a swipe at the Laguna being down.

For the record @Chris_Fazio, it was not minor.

Saw needed a new belt. I procured 2. Attempted an install to find that the belts were in fact too long. Got shorter belts. They seem to fit. Tires came in, they got installed. Tires didnt stay on. Also new ceramics for the cool blocks were ordered. 9 installed fine, 1 broke. Decided that roller bearing guides would be an easier attempt and hold up better to our space the aluminum that held the ceramics was in dismal condition. Glued urethane wheels to tire, installed new guides.

All in all, could it have been done faster, sure. Did it happen that way? Nope. Further, your offer of help was nice. I wont say any more about the tone of it though
…Saw got some maintenance, nothing about it was minor.

Remember we are a contractor grade shop. If you want something nice, that’s on your dime and your time.

2 Likes

I apologize my offer to help wasn’t the proper tone, post my offer word for word, and there’s not a single instance of it that was even the slightest bit negative or critical, in fact I feel it made me look like the fool via the story I shared so if you feel that you have to impose some disingenuous tone over a genuine offer that’s your issue and Paul you seem to be the one always making this about me, I’m not saying I want it, I know how to use a dado, I’m not in the slightest worried about me getting injured but with having someone been injured on the router table within the last year, I’d feel the same could happen with a dado on a saw with no saftey device, but continue bringing the conversation back to me, when I’m not even concerned about me I’m concerned someone’s gonna remove a 3/4” section of their limb and then the woodshop gets shut down cause we didn’t want to use the saw stop

If you would like to bring it into the court of public opinion feel free. I think you will find most people wouldn’t have taken kindly to the insinuations made.

Any insinuates you may have mistakenly perceived are non existent on my end, and what I feel is more how little you think of me that I’m so far beneath a person of similar caliber that I’m incapable of any genuine or actual offer of assistance, but regardless of what you may have already been predisposed to assume it was genuine

I keep a RAT tourniquet in my DMS backpack as an ultimate insurance policy. Between training classes and my personal experiences in the wood, metal and machine shops I recognize things can go fatally wrong in an instant.

2 Likes

In all seriousness that’s a good idea I’m actually going to do cause you never know, and lucky Dms has those med packs if there’s ever a need for it to be opened they could very well be the thing that saves a life in a situation like that

Here is my Amazon List of trauma pack items I carry attached to the outside of my chainsaw box.

Trauma Pack by Hank Cowdog

3 Likes