Woodshop re arrangement

I asked a small group of heavy lathe users to come up with a plan to rework the lathe area to address two urgent problems:

1. We have not maintained an adequate walkway from door to door in the Woodshop. Code suggests a 44” walkway and at times it has been cluttered.

2. We now have four Jet Lathes and can run a class of four with each participant having their own lathe. We do not have room in the current lathe area configuration for four Jet Lathes.

The group came up with a set of requirements (see attached) and thoughtfully evaluated 14 possible configurations for the lathe area. The attached layout was deemed best at meeting requirements and solving the above problems. If you have any constructive suggestions, please let Mike know.

Planforlatheareadms4.pdf (144.3 KB)

9 Likes

Might be worth experimenting to see if rotating the sanding table 45 degrees gives you more useable perimeter access. Hard to tell at the scale of the drawing, but should be pretty easy to evaluate onsite.

It might be worth considering erecting something like a 5’ tall clear plastic partition between the sanding table and the Powermatic to shield sanding table users from flying crud from the Powermatic.

Which of the two tables are you calling the sanding table? The table that is/was connected to the dust collector? Or the one classes cluster around for lathe classes? What happens to the second table in this layout scenario? (and please excuse me if this was addressed in the four points in the attachment. I kinda glazed over mid-way through…)

I would also tend to agree with Chris’ suggestion of having some sort of partition between sanding and big lathe. Bad enough getting pelted by your own lathe debris. Wouldn’t want to be pelting everybody else as well.

The sanding table moves

The other table disappears

It would be nice, if possible, if that table could stay in some form - when I’m teaching pen classes or other small turning project, we use that table for the class to do their prep work and assembly.

We also need clearance from the front wood shop door. Some folks brought in a big piece of tree for the joiner, and I felt like I didn’t have enough room to get out of the way.

Perhaps you could set up a temporary table with sawhorses or similar? I haven’t seen many pen turning classes hit the calendar in the last several months even though I’ve heard there is quite the demand?

I’ve put as many up as I can, and I’ve taught numerous 1on 1s to supplement.

I’ll modify to fit these plans. Sorry.

All,
I was not part of the design plans (14 for gosh sakes!) but I did have the opportunity to participate and review the redesign suggestions and I firmly believe this is this best option given our available footprint.

Big Kudos to the person(s) that took the time to thoughtfully consider the alternate designs!

This is not the ideal design of our shop but given the space we have to work with it truly does offer the best compromise with a marked increase in safety and functionality for the busiest areas during peak times.

The Pro and Con evaluation of the merits of the 14 options truly underscores the importance of woodshop users working as a team of considerate members to alert each other to the flow of materials and people through the area. It also underscores the importance of accelerating the move to our new area sooner rather than later.

I’d like to see us adopt and implement this new arrangement in the very near future.

1 Like

I completely understand. We all have goals and commitment outside of the space. I’d love to take a pen course. They fill up so quickly just like the bowl classes I’d be willing to bet we could double the number and still have a great turnout. Thanks again for all you do!

1 Like

We will look at using the sanding table and the lathe carts as prep areas. We may also look for some temp type table when needed

More to discuss

2 Likes

Paul is correct, we are using this as a step towards the new space. May not be ideal but an improved plan for the interim

1 Like