Woodshop Layout Draft

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/9406
The only thing discussed at this meeting was the layout, just like it said in the description.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s certainly better than nothing. But how much better, assuming maximizing awareness and engagement is the goal, to publish that here on Talk Woodshop forum (for members that donā€™t look at event calendar) and a couple of signs around the woodshop (for members that donā€™t come online at all), with plenty of lead time for people who have families and night jobs and busy schedules to adjust, and for any relevant discussion to happen online? For instance, this whole thread could have occurred in lieu of all of the discussion at the committee meeting, which apparently couldnā€™t accommodate all of attendeesā€™ ideas and comments.

It used to be this way, and committee attendance was 3-4 times what it has typically been over past ~2.5 years since the previous woodshop chair took over and slowly made everything hidden/secret/autocratic. Committee meetings back then were interesting and robust and well attended, with clear agendas published to Talk and Wiki before and minutes published afterward. I know, as I took and published the meeting minutes for possibly the last woodshop committee meeting that met this standard (as I remember, that meeting was SRO - about 30-35 attendees - in the Interactive meeting room): https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Woodshop_Committee_Meeting_20160707

Committees can run the way they decide to - I am fine with that. But letā€™s not pretend we are at all as open and transparent and communicative as we could be, given the tools (Talk, Wiki, Printer) we have at our disposal.

And letā€™s not denigrate people contributions here on Talkā€¦thatā€™s what itā€™s for.

1 Like

Iā€™m working on reopening this thread, will post more tomorrow. There are certain things that are immovable in the woodshop. There is also a time table that must be met. All of this will be discussed in my next post.

1 Like

I would like to reopen this thread for discussion as long as the following criteria are met:

1. The felder RL350 needs to go back where we originally had placed it, as itā€™s reason for being there is that there is an attachment planned for future purchase that will enable it to deposit the collected dust in a dumpster outside, and we will need to utilize the preexisting wall penetration located there.
  2. There can be no 208V power drops on the west wall.
  3. No new construction (extra walls/rooms) are included, as this would require new permits from the city and would stop construction on all areas of the makerspace expansion.
  4. All design/layout ideas are submitted no later than 12:00PM Monday.
  5. The PR closet is to be woodshop committee storage. Finishing will still be done in the common workshop area for best results.
    As long as these criteria are met, all ideas will be considered when deciding the new layout. Unfortunately, we will not be able to vote on this as it was done outside of the scheduled meeting, but a final copy of the newly revised layout will be available for review at the next regularly scheduled committee meeting. This means that the final layout will be decided from the previously voted on layout and from suggestions on this thread. There will still be limited flexibility to our final plans as most of the ducting will be stationary, but we will be able to switch machines between ducts as power allows.
3 Likes

Please remember that behind the dust collectors proposed original home the air compressor lives. There may be competition for the existing wall penetration due to venting needed for the air compressor.