Woodshop Gripe šŸ˜•

@jswilson64 Negative. Using it for a reasonable period of time for a single project would not fall into that definition.

2 Likes

Now youā€™d need to define ā€œreasonable period of time,ā€ and ā€œsingle project.ā€

Isnā€™t it just simpler to say, ā€œif you break stuff, pay for it and/or fix it, and if the dust collectors get full, empty them, and if thereā€™s someone waiting, be considerateā€ ? Instead of trying to legislate what is or isnā€™t commercial use, what is a reasonable time, what is ā€œundue wear and tear,ā€ etc.

After all, one user tied up the Thuder for 7 hours making this: Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - November 2016
Is that reasonable? Is it reasonable if he kept it for himself, but not reasonable if he sold it?

Opening that can is too many grey areas that would need to be made black-and-white (and donā€™t forget the resultant loopholes that would be created), IMO.

3 Likes

@jswilson64 I think you have the wrong person. Itā€™s not my place to define vocabulary for official use in a general discussion forum. We have monthly meetings for that activity. I also did not suggest rules or legislation. I offered my opinion on a statement. And no - in my opinion, I donā€™t feel that using the laser printer for a 7 hour job is considered monopolizingā€¦thatā€™s how long it can take to make use of the laser and itā€™s full bed capacity.

It looks like you are doing a great job of documenting your concerns and point of view. I urge you to continue doing so, and present your case and points of view to the board at the next meeting. Itā€™s encouraging a when a member takes the initiative to volunteer running with the ball to handle an issue. I appreciate your efforts.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just seen ā€œno commercial useā€ pop up on Talk from time to time, and it just doesnā€™t seem like something thatā€™s definable enough to be enforceable while not excluding a large number of members from using the Space.

Although, last spring during the Fidget Spinner craze, I was kinda wishing for ā€œno commercial useā€ when every time I came up to 3d print something, every working printer was churning out a batch of those gadgetsā€¦

Really peopleā€¦ REALLY!? :rage:
sawdust

When you clean up woodshop, it doesnā€™t give you license to shit all over the parking lot. When you are done cleaning up the filters, clean up the crap you just blew out of the filters.

5 Likes

Maybe some ā€œtapeā€ would help to mark an area to clean those filters?

5 Likes

I probably did half of that to be honest, as I was doing it I started thinking about it and didnā€™t think to clean it up.

Iā€™ve never seen anyone clean up after cleaning the filters, we need to teach part also.

This is also one of my fears with getting an out door unit haha

2 Likes

the oil stains are goneā€¦

9 Likes

Iā€™ll add the times Iā€™ve blown out the filters I didnā€™t sweep up outside. It goes to show even when trying to help in one way we may be oblivious to a cleaning deficit somewhere else. I wasnā€™t willfully trying to leave an outdoor mess, but more task focused on getting the dust collector back to a safe level.

4 Likes

Probably need to make a rotisserie rig you could spin the filters on that has a bin to catch the fallout.

4 Likes

Thus far, I have had no issues with asking people to stop for a couple of min and help clean. Folks have been great helping. And thanks!

I also made the mess in the parking lot a couple if times, Sorry :hushed:

3 Likes

I just put a post about the filter on this thread?

any ideas on what i am doing wrong on my cleaning of the filters?

The biggest thing I could think of is blowing the filter out. That is using compressed air to blow air from the outside of the filter towards the inside. Doing a good job of this has worked for me in the past. Another thing to note with the worn out filters, they can be taken to the car wash and power washed. I did this in the past with much success. The catch it you need to allow them to fully dry before reinstalling. But this can give a second life to the clog filters. As we are going through filters quickly, maybe we can hold on to a few of the old filters and do this to have on site replacements.

2 Likes