Woodshop dust collectors

Just a quick heads up I was using the Delta table sawand it was spitting dust back at me… so I decided to try and figure out why.

I cleaned out some big chunks from the tubing which helped… but not the root cause.

Looked at the East side dust collector and the gauge was pegged out past 5. The cyclone bin was only about half full and there wasn’t much in the fines bin.

@captbones and I then did a more thorough cleanout of the fines collector… cleaned it as much as we could by blowing air backward through the filter to knock down as much as possible. Filled the fines bin below about 3 times by the time we were done.

Put it all back together and it seems to work a little better. The gauge is now down to 3, but we need to do better at cleaning out the filter.

Since prevention is way more effective than fighting a broken tool I finally went through and painted a green arc on the dust collector gauges. Green is anything below 4.

Hopefully people will now look at the gauge and see if it’s running too high that something needs to be done… namely clean the fines collector.

But by the time all was said and done, I was out of time and couldn’t clean out the west filter. It does have a green band on it now though so hopefully it gets someone to look and think about it.

2 Likes

Thank you for spending your time to do this (and thanks to @captbones too). Good idea to paint the arc.

Constructive suggestion for Woodshop Basics class …
There seem to be a couple machines that generate a lot of chips/dust. Every time someone uses one of them, the first step should be to check the dust collector. Planer and jointer would be high on my list …

2 Likes